His smile turns into a rotten scowl. His friends, with the exception of Jay, laugh at his expense. I tell them I'll bring them a round of cola colas, take their order and pivot on my heel. I'm barely a few feet away before the blonde boy is not-so-quietly grumbling about me.

"Dude, your sister might be hot, but she's a raging bitch."

If I expect Jay to agree that I am in fact a raging bitch— I mean, my brother has seen me PMSing for years— I'm surprised when he growls back, "Shut up before I knock your teeth out."

Over the next few minutes, I place their orders with the cook and bring them a round of soda. Jay still says nothing to me beyond a quick "burger and fries" and "there's no salt." I'm thoroughly frustrated by the time I finish rounding on my tables, serving them food and drinks, and I settle for leaning against the counter with a huff.

Surprisingly, my Keds I wear for work aren't half as comfortable as my heels. I actually have to bandage my feet to stop them blistering.

The last twenty minutes since Jay walked in have been more stressful and exhausting than the past six hours of my shift. And it's a Saturday afternoon. He's also managed to thoroughly ruin my mood, which had been excited for the plans I have tonight.

The details were sparse, but Hunter had finally gotten around to asking me out on a proper date. Sure, we'd had dinner at Pauli's a handful of times, and watched movies in my room. But he's surprised me with a text this morning telling me he'd pick me up from Addy's at five-thirty. Apparently she would help me get ready.

The last hour of my shift seems to drag out. Just when I'm sure Jay and his friends have decided to move into their booth permanently, a dark haired boy with more manners than his blonde friend came over and asks for their bills. He takes them back to the table, the boys leave cash in each of their places, and they take off.

Jay doesn't even look my way on his way out the door.

"I am not wearing those," I insist for the third time, my arms crossed over my chest

"I am not wearing those," I insist for the third time, my arms crossed over my chest. "It's not happening."

Addy rolls her eyes. "Hunter gave me specific instructions. I didn't think you'd be that against it."

I've been standing in Addison's bedroom for ten minutes while she's sorted through her closet, pulling out different articles of clothing and trying to make me the perfect outfit for this date. She's currently holding up a purple and blue plaid shirt, a white long sleeve and a pair of faded blue jeans that look like they've seen much better days.

To quote Simon Cowell, it's a no from me.

I raise a challenging eyebrow at her. "And if Ethan told me you needed to wear a plunging v-neck and a pair of my heels, would you go along with it ?"

Immediately, Addie turns seven shades redder. While Edan hadn't become an official couple in time to make the cut for yearbook, they were pretty damn close. He'd taken her to a drive-
in movie last weekend,— because apparently those are still a thing— and even gave her a goodnight kiss on her front porch. It was a romance straight out a Nicholas Sparks novel, and their lack of official status hadn't stopped me from picking out their wedding colors this week during English lit.