Chapter 23: Not So Secret Identity

Comenzar desde el principio

"Well there's the usual 'never seen Peter and Spider man in the same room' but of course I've never seen obama and the black panther in the same room either but that doesn't mean they are one in the same." I explain.

"Well if it wasn't that, then what did give it away?" He asks in exasperation.

"For one thing you tend to run off in the middle of conversations." I state blankly, referencing the current situation. "Plus the fact that in the entire time i've lived here, i've only seen spiderman once, you'd think that being an avenger he would come around more often." I pause to make sure he's following.

"Is that all? It doesn't seem like enough for you to peg me as the only possible option." He complains.

"Oh no i'm not done yet. There's also the problem of you telling me that you are a stark industries intern. That's fine and all except for, why, out of all the interns working in this building, do you get to live at the tower part time and hang out with the avengers?" I raised an eyebrow, waiting for a response.

"I admit, that one is a little harder to excuse. But-"

"Hold on, i'm still not done." I interrupt, "You went as spiderman for halloween, but your costume was spot on, that wasn't any costume store trash. And finally, the last thing that completely put my suspicion over the edge....... I heard Thor call you Spider child the other day." he sighs and lets his body fall back against the bed.

"So what are you gonna do now that you know?" He asks with a hint of dejection in his voice.

"Um, nothing I guess?" I say as more of a question than a statement.

"Wait, nothing? Usually in situations like this girls get mad when they find out their friend was a superhero and never told them."

"Yeah, I guess the author of this book didn't want to be that cliche, and do you really think i'm that shallow of a friend that I would stop being friends with you just because you didn't tell me you're spider-man? Don't worry, i totally understand." I assure him, swiveling around in my desk chair. He looks extremely relieved that i'm not angry.

"Thanks."

"no problem, now what were you gonna say about your trip to Colorado?" I ask, changing the subject back to its original state.

"Oh yeah. Flash's parents said I could invite you to come along!"

"Really?!" I shout with excitement, "that's so cool! I've never been to Colorado!"

"I know, it's gonna be fun." He says jumping up off the bed. "So whadda you say?" He asks eagerly, sticking a hand out to pull me up from my seat, as if that would confirm that i'm going.

"I have to ask Pepper and Tony." I state the obvious, leaving his hand floating in front of me. "Did you ask May yet?"

"No, but i'll tell her there will be adult supervision, and i'm sure she'll let me go." He says with a shrug, shaking his hand to emphasize that he still wants me to take it. I grab his hand and he pulls me up from my seat.

"When is this camping trip?"

"On Friday."

"Great, i'll go talk to Pepper and Tony, while you go talk to May." I sprint off, leaving him standing alone in my room, expecting him to leave out the window he came through. I waste no time finding Pepper and Tony in the conference room I interrupt their pre meeting conversation by saying

"I need to talk to you about something very important."

"To important that it can't wait till after this Meeting?" Tony asks, not taking his eyes off the papers in front of him.

"Yes, it'll only take a minute I promise." I insist.

"Alright, so what was so important?"

"A bunch of people from Peter's school are going to Colorado to go camping and can I go?" I rush out.

"Whoa, slow down. Colorado?" Tony asks.

"Yeah, Flash's parents are taking everyone."

"When is this happening?" Tony begins his line of questioning.

"Friday." I respond quickly.

"And what about Pepper and I, are we going."

"Um, I think it's just Flash's parents and a bunch of teens." I answer him.

"Well then no, definitely not, there is no way you're going by yourself."

"Come on," I whine, "It's not like there won't be adult supervision, it's a camping trip, not some pool party with a bunch of irresponsible teens." I Attempt.

"And what happens if you have an anxiety attack? There will be no one who knows how to help you." He shoots back seriously.

"Yes there will be, Peter's going and he knows how to take care of me." I protest. Tony pauses to think this over. I make a pouty face, looking at him with pleading eyes and intertwining my fingers with each other in a begging position. He glances over to Pepper for support.

"Back me up here Pep."

"I think she should go." she confesses holding up her hands in defense. Tony looks betrayed.

"How on earth could you think this is a good idea?"

"With all the lawyers and phone calls and court cases going on, it's not doing her any good being here. I think it'll be good for her to get out of the tower and have some fun." Pepper explains. I can tell that Tony is trying to think up a good excuse for me not to go. Finally he meets my pleading eyes and lets out a sigh.

"Fine, you can go." He mumbles. I squeal with excitement and fling my arms around his neck.

"Thank you Tony!" I shout and start to run back up to my room to see if Peter is back yet.

"Hold on!" Tony's voice stops me and I turn back to listen to all the terms and conditions I know are coming. "Promise me you will stay within earshot of Peter or an adult at all times," I nod my head, "No drinking," I nod again, "Don't take any dangerous dares." I roll my eyes, but nod, "And no talking to boys."

"Tony, she can't not talk to any boys." Pepper objects.

"Sure she can, she can just only talk to the girls." He explains

"What about Peter?" I counter

"We'll talk about it later, the people from Pym tech will be here any minute so you've gotta scoot." He shoos me away. I grin and kiss his cheek before once again bolting upstairs. Peter's not back, but he emailed me and said that after much persuasion May says he can go.

By the time Friday comes, I have packed, and gotten all the details of the trip from Peter. and Tony even offered his private jet to fly us all. A bunch of us stand around with backpacks and suitcases, waiting for the Stark jet to be fueled up. I look up from playing with the phone Tony gave me, and see Peter navigating the crowd toward me.

"It was nice of Mr. Stark to let us take his Jet." Peter says.

"Yeah, I guess he knows that you're poor as dirt and can't buy a plane ticket."

"Excuse me!" He scoffs, "I found twelve dollars on the sidewalk earlier, how much money does dirt have? None that's how much."

"Whatever you say Peter, but twelve dollars still can't buy a plane ticket." Everyone start to move toward the door so Peter and I follow, soon we are all on the Jet and headed out for our adventure.