Sure enough, in another second, he appeared. I was a little more calm with the guard at my back, but what was he doing? Alex would have a fit to learn that someone was trying to scare me. It was just plain stupid on his part.

I was about to order the guard to do something, but the guard surprised me by grabbing me and covering my mouth.

"Make it quick, would ya?" he said to the other man. "I want to get out of here."

Terrified now, I realized that I'd only mistaken this man for a guard. I'd been too frightened to notice that he wasn't dressed exactly right. Hearing him speak, I realized by his accent that he must be from somewhere other than the kingdom.

I struggled instinctively and tried to scream, but the man had a firm grip. I wasn't sure what their plan was, but I was almost positive that it didn't involve taking me anywhere. There's no way they'd be able to get near one of the exits without attracting a lot of attention. And hearing the one tell his accomplice to hurry, made me think that they probably planned on hurting me in some way. Or worse.

The one who'd originally frightened me drew nearer and his smile became much more menacing. So it was probably the worse option, I relaized.

I forced myself to calm as much as possible and focus. Unfortunately this was not the first time I'd been in a situation like this, and thanks to Aunt Keira, I was not totally helpless.

Making a fist, I jabbed my elbow into the stomach of the man who held me. He grunted and his grip loosened, but he didn't entirely let go. I turned and used my palm to hit him hard in the nose, making him forget me and clutch his face.

When I turned back, the other one grabbed my arms and I forcefully pulled my knee up between his legs, shocking him into releasing me too.

Taking what was undoubtedly only a brief moment of freedom, I ran through the library and quickly slipped behind the curtain that led to the secret room. I could have run through the other exit, but I wasn't sure if there were any more men in on their plan.

Seconds later, I heard the one man's voice inside the library.

"Find her," he ordered his friend. "I'll stand look out."

As quietly as possible, I took the steps up to the room and peeked out the stained glass window that overlooked the library.

The first man went to check the other exit before he began searching the stacks. The one who was pretending to be a guard, stood at the entrance, holding the book I'd dropped and dabbing at his nose with a handkerchief.

They wouldn't find me, I tried to comfort myself. And Alex would be along soon. He'd know what to do.

For a few tense minutes, I watched the one man exhaustively check over the library. What would he do when he failed to find me? He knew I didn't take the other exit. Would he know to look for a hidden room?

Aunt Keira appeared in the doorway and I wanted to yell for her, but I was afraid of the man in the library getting to me while she dealt with his accomplice.

She said something to the man at the entrance before suspiciously looking around and then eyeing him more closely. She nodded to the book in his hand and said something.

Whatever the man said in answer, apparently told her something was wrong. She instantly pulled her sword and pointed it at him, obviously demanding to know where I was.

He held up his hands and appeared to be playing dumb.

The other man was searching more discretely, but I noticed with a start that he was looking for false areas in the wall.