Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

Harry ran a hand through his thick dark hair and sighed. "Dumbledore left Hermione a copy of this book, called the 'Tales of Beedle the Bard.' Do you know it?"

I nodded as I threw a dash of lacewings into the brew. "Of course, Mum used to read it to Ron, Ginny and I when we were children. It's the wizarding equivalent of a tale fairy."

"Fairy tale," Hermione corrected as she continued to scribble.

"Well, you know how Luna's father, Mr Lovegood was wearing that symbol at the wedding, of the triangle with a circle and a line inside?" I thought hard; it had been many months since Bill's wedding and a lot had happened, but eventually I recalled what Harry was talking about and nodded. "Yes, but what does that have to do with anything?"

Quickly, Hermione recounted the Tale of Three Brothers as I worked, and once she had finished it I nodded in recognition. "So this pendant that Luna's father was wearing, symbolises the Deathly Hallows?"

Ron nodded with his apple and messily scribbled it on a piece of paper in front of me. "The Elder Wand," he murmured through chomping, pointing to the long central line, "the Invisibilty Cloak" he added as he pointed to the triangle, "and the Resurrection Stone."

I felt a glimmer of something within me at the mention of this stone. If we were to find it, I could speak to Charlie, Cedric, Millicent, my father. Everybody I loved who had died, I could tell them I was sorry, and let them know how much I missed them. I wanted the stone more than I had ever wanted anything in my entire existence, and staying calm so not to let the others catch on was difficult. "So if the Dark Lord has the Elder Wand, and you have the Invisibility Cloak, where's the Resurrection Stone?"

They all shrugged. "Who knows, but it doesn't really matter. What we need to focus on is destroying the remaining horcruxes before the Dark Lord catches us, and then I should be able to take him down," Harry replied.

I nodded in agreement, although I couldn't stop thinking about the stone. Here was a chance for me to see Charlie, my father, Cedric and Millicent again. I needed to see them, and so even though Harry had tossed it to the bottom of his list of things to do, I found myself moving it to the top of mine.

I stirred the potion three times as the others watched in awe, and then with a sigh, I looked up.

"It's done."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Given my close affinity to Bellatrix Lestrange and knowledge of her family and personality, we all decided that I should play her part. Ron and Hermione were to take the form of two Death Eaters they had scuffled with and snatched some hair from whilst we were at Malfoy Manor, and Harry and Griphook would hide under the Invisibility Cloak.

I split the potion into three portions and dressed in the hideous black robes that Fleur had found in the bottom of an old wardrobe belonging to my aunt before she moved away. But however disgusting the robes looked, they were perfect for Bellatrix.

Ron and Hermione dressed in some old black robes Hermione had in her mysterious beaded handbag, and after saying goodbye to Bill and Fleur, we met in the living room of Shell Cottage.

Hermione held up the hair she had snatched from Bellatrix Lestrange, and stared intently at it. "Are you sure that's hers?" Ron asked carefully, he too staring at the dark, curling hair. Hermione nodded slightly. "Positive," she replied.

She pursed her lips, and I slowly held out my vial of polyjuice potion. Hermione looked at me and nodded, before dropping the hair into the liquid. I took a deep breath, waving my wand over the liquid to complete the potion, before carrying it outside. I didn't want them to watch me endure what was most likely going to be a horrendous transformation, given how vile Bellatrix's life essence must be. I was glad in that instant as I headed down the beach that the flask I meant to drink it from was opaque, so at least I couldn't see how vile it looked and be dissuaded.