Girl Meets New Teacher

Start from the beginning

Dad walks into the room, "You broke him." Dad tells the class and we all start cheering. "Quiet!" Dad yells at us. "Mr. Garaboski retired yesterday." we all start cheering again. "Quiet! The guy survives Vietnam and Mrs. Garaboski, and he can't get past you." We all smile at each other.

"It's a gift," I tell him.

"Now, he left a letter here that expressed his feelings." Dad tells us opening the letter, "Dear, you little... okay, I can't read this." 

"He always talked about the good old days before 1985," Lucas says. 

"What happened in 1985?" Riley asks. 

"That was the year the New York board of education said you couldn't hit a kid with a ruler," Farkle answers her. 

"'Bored' of education? I do believe I am." Maya jokes. 

"Well, now you're gonna need a new English teacher," Dad explains to us. 

"That's okay, thanks," Maya tells him. 

"Uh, I don't know, Maya. You may want to consider this one." Lucas tells her as he looked out the windows. I turn to the windows to see a young Asian women wearing a biker jacket walk into the classroom. 

"Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Ms. Harper Burgess," Dad says introducing her. 

"You got a bike that goes with that outfit?" Lucas asks her. 

Ms. Burgess walks over to him. "1800 cc twin cam fat Bob fuel tank wide glide. What do you ride?"

"He rode a sheep." Riley answers. 

Maya and Amelia share a look. "62-pound quad hoof white fleece, kind you count before you fall asleep. Baa baa," they say at the same time. 

"Wanna race?" Ms. Burgess asks him. 

Lucas slowly shakes his head. "No."

"Ms. Burgess is here to teach you about great books and great ideas," Dad tells us. "Please give her the same respect that you give me." 

"Oh, we could do better than that," Riley says smiling. 

After Dad left Ms. Burgess started passing out Batman: The Dark Night Returns comic.

"Frank Miller, The Dark Knight Returns." Ms. Burgess says.

Farkle grins, "This is Batman." 

"A future Batman."  Ms. Burgess corrects.

"What's the difference?" Lucas asks.

"This story is the continuation based on an original series of characters," she explains. "Do you guys know what that means?"

"Yeah." We all responded. 

"Um, aren't you supposed to be teaching us the important books?" Riley asks her. 

"Mmm, this graphic novel was as important to its style of literature as any book you can think of," Ms.Burgess responds.

"What's it about?" Farkles.

"It's about a world that's become so tough that Batman fights Superman," Ms.Burgess explains. "You will tell me why he does that. "

"Spoiler, Batman wins," I say.

"You're gonna start by teaching us a comic book, miss motorcycle?" Lucas asks. 

"Yeah," Ms. Burgess says. "And you're gonna start by not calling me miss anything. You can call me Harper. 

"Harper?" Farkle questions.

 Harper gestures to him. "Yes?"

"I just wanted to see if it would work," Farkle tells her.