Nick knew he was being studied, but he wasn’t sure if he was brave enough to ask why. He was curious what Dahlia might have told Miranda about their relationship. He assumed Alex knew the whole truth and that didn’t bother him too much. He knew that she’d need to be honest with him. He found that he didn’t want to be known as cold, but he also didn’t want his medical issues to be spread about. Miranda was devastatingly beautiful to him and he wondered what he’d have to do to have someone like her.

They ate in companionable silence for a while until Miranda asked about Callie. She knew it would be a safe subject and she enjoyed watching his eyes light up as he talked about her.

“...as soon as she sees the ring on her mother’s finger, she’s going to want to plan the wedding.” Miranda caught only the last bit of what he said. Apparently she wasn’t immune to his looks.

“She’ll be pleased, then? I know Alex wants Callie to accept him.” Miranda asked.

“Oh, definitely. The only reason Dahlia didn’t send Callie a picture of the ring was because she’d want to fly home today.”

Miranda was pleased to see that Nick showed no signs of jealousy. “I’m glad Alex found someone.”

Nick nodded emphatically. “Dahlia found her perfect match. I’m still a little surprised that she approached you in the first place.”

Miranda’s eyes widened. “She told you about that?”

Nick laughed. “Yeah. I mean, she probably thought of how to skirt the truth, but I think sugar-coating it for Callie will be time consuming enough.”

“True,” Miranda conceded. “It’s just a pretty intimate confession, but you probably knew about her inclinations.” Miranda was fishing.

Nick nodded once. He didn’t know what to say. He didn’t know what Dahlia had already revealed. “I wasn’t the right person to help her with that,” he hedged with a smirk. “You can’t get all my secrets out of me, yet.”

Yet. It was then that Miranda knew that there was more to Nick than she’d believed. She had an inkling the day before when she saw the photo of Alex and Dahlia that he was so proud of. He didn’t behave like someone who’d been left behind. She knew that Dahlia evaded the issue before when she’d said they weren’t attracted to each other because what she saw before her was a red-blooded male that was bringing out her instincts to ensnare and charm. She hadn’t felt that in a while. She found her curiosity was overwhelming, but she’d always been good at suppressing her impulsiveness. Alex wasn’t the only one on medication. “Fair enough. Don’t think I won’t try, though.” She poked her fork in his direction.

“I shall be very cross if you don’t,” Nick said without thinking. He was flirting. He didn’t know he was capable. He tracked back. “You seem to be supportive of Alex’s uh...of him,” he finished weakly.

Of course, Miranda thought, I’m hardly one to judge. She wasn’t about to tell Nick that, no matter how much she wanted to wear him down. “I think we all have our things,” she stressed. “His are just a little more taboo. I’m betting you even have some strange kinks. I’m betting it has to do with food.”

Nick laughed. “Maybe. What’re yours?” He instantly regretted asking and looked apologetic.

She laughed lightly to reassure him. She didn’t quite know what to say. She shrugged. “I’ve got a few odd things.” Boy did she ever. Odd was an understatement.

After a little over and hour of fleeting looks and Nick instructing Miranda on which papers to send to him, it was time for Miranda to get the club ready for the evening. Miranda thanked him and invited him back in a couple of days for lunch so that they could touch base. She made it sound professional, but she appreciated that he didn’t call her on it. She knew he could call or email. She found it promising that he’d agreed, but in the next thought wondered what she was doing. It was that second thought that had her pressed up against his back because she hadn’t been paying attention as they walked to the door.

She heard his sharp intake of breath and it froze her on the spot. She was nearly as tall as him and she felt a heady rush of arousal. “Sorry. Mind was elsewhere,” she said breathlessly. She stepped back, but only an inch. It had been years since she was this close to a man. It made her a bit light-headed.

Nick shifted his body sideways to open the door to her office and his whole right side pressed against her. He raised his hand automatically to her hip.

Miranda was tall and lean. And so warm. Her breasts were small, but she carried them confidently. Nick wanted to touch them and he had to consciously stop his hand from moving upward, but he wasn’t able to stop his body from turning completely into hers, or bringing up his other hand to rest on her other hip. He realized as soon as he was pressed against her and smelling her that he was hard. He had to clear his head. He dropped his hand and backed up, shaking his head, like he was coming free from a spell. He cleared his throat and met her eyes. They looked just as dazed as his own. “I’ll see you later.” He smiled at her disarmingly. He felt like he had the upper-hand and that was interesting. It gave him quite a boost.

“Later,” she echoed, dazzled. She watched him walk out the back of Dishabille. She wondered what the fuck just happened. She had no idea how to pursue this. She didn’t know if she had the courage. She had a feeling that she may not really have a conscious choice. If he had stayed pressed against her for a second more, she would have dropped to her knees.

Maybe she could try to be happy with what he had to offer, if he would offer anything. She had a feeling he would. She also had a feeling that it would be fabulous. Yes. She would try. Maybe she could ease him into certain things if she brought dessert into the bedroom. Miranda smiled, realizing she was getting way ahead of herself, but knowing that Nick might not turn down her freaky requests if she was covered in chocolate sauce.