Chapter 36: Decisions

Start from the beginning

"This only works if everyone is there," my dad chimed in. "What is she gonna think if you don't show up?"

I held out my hands and patted them against my legs. "That I was smart not to come."

"Or that you didn't care enough to come," my dad said pointing at me. "We are a family and we have to stick together even when it's hard." He looked at me and grabbed ahold of my shoulder. "You need to be there so you can let go of this burden that you've been carrying," he said pointing at my heart. "Get in the middle of this thing and confront her. You don't have to say it in front of us, but it still needs to be said."

I could feel my eyes getting watery. "Damn it," I mumbled as I dabbed underneath my eyes.

"You're hurting. You took quite a hit, but don't let that prevent you from seeing her. You aren't the only one who has been wronged by your mother. We have been too," he said pointing between him and Dominick. "So have your siblings." He wiped my eyes. "Listen. I know it's hard, but your mother needs us to rally around her and show her support. She's probably been dealing with things that we can't even begin to understand. She doesn't need to go through it alone any longer."

I looked up at the ceiling and wiped my face and chin. I took a deep breath. "Okay. Can you give me a few days to think about it?"

"What's there to think about," my dad asked.

"Daddy you're pushing," I informed him. He held up his hands defensively. "Okay. Sorry."

"Baby. Come on," Kevin encouraged. "He's made a really great point though," Kevin chimed in.

"Kevin," I sighed. "I said that I needed time."

"I know but---"

I cut him off. "Kevin. You're pushing. You know I don't like it when you do that."

"Baby if you would just---"

"Kevin," I called out to him again, "Stop."

My dad clasped his hands together. "Okay. Just call me when you've made up your mind. I'll call everyone else later and run it past them," he said tapping my knee.

"Okay daddy."

"I'm gonna get ready to head out, "he said standing up. I got up from the couch and gave him a hug.

Dominick followed suit. "I should get going too."

"Uh Dominick," I said grabbing ahold of his arm, "before you leave can I talk to you for a sec?"

He looked at me. "Sure. What's on your mind?"

I looked between my dad and Kevin. "Uh. I was hoping I could speak with you privately."

"Okay sure. You can walk me out."

"Great. I'm gonna go put on my shoes," I said leaving the living room. "See ya dad," I said over my shoulder.

After rushing my feet into a pair of shoes I headed back out into the living room. "You ready," I asked Dominck. "Yep. Let's go."

We walked silently out into the hallway and towards the elevator. Dominick pressed the down button and we waited. "So, what's up?" Dominick asked as he turned to face me.

The elevator doors dinged open and we stepped inside. Dominick pressed the number one. "So I noticed that you gave your daughter my number," I started. "She text me last night."

He held his hand up to his head and silently cursed. "I'm so sorry. Was that okay? I just sent your number to her without thinking. I should have asked first."