prologue

Once upon a time, in a kingdom hidden deep in an enchanted forest there was a kind but fearful king. The king feared the beasts that flew high up in the mountains afraid that they would soon come and destroy his precious village. During the festival of the summer solstice one of the great beasts flew over the small kingdom. Landing in a small clearing near the kings castle the beast speaks to the king. "My people are few, while yours are plenty give us some of your women and we will keep your kingdom safe from the dangers of the forest." The beasts voice was thunderous and the fearful king accepted afraid if he didn't the beast would surely kill him and burn his kingdom to the ground. For many years after that day the village sacrificed one of the young women during the summer solstice.

After 20 years the king had no children, no heir to his throne. Knowing he and his wife could not conceive a child he took in a small fragile baby girl whose parents had recently been the victims of terrible sickness and tragically had not passed from this world. Now having a daughter to call his own the king was afraid that she may be chosen to be given to the beasts. He hid her from the world for 16 years. Not letting anyone now about his precious child. But he couldn't keep her hidden forever. The girl was adventurous and always found a way out of the castle to explore the world she had been hidden from. The young women's name was Rowan. The king feared her beauty would attract to much attention. Her long blonde hair that rippled down her back resembled a waterfall. Her eyes sparkled like the sea she has never seen. She longed for adventure, to explore and experience.

The summer solstice was near and the king feared that his daughter would be chosen by the great flying beasts. Her ever growing thirst for adventure was making it harder to keep her hidden. She would undoubtedly be seen soon. He could only hope she wouldn't catch the all-seeing eyes of the dragon king.