Chapter 35: Mommy Dearest

Start from the beginning

Thwack! I pressed my hand into the side of my face and winced. "Maybe that'll teach you to watch your damn mouth! You don't know everything," she said pointing a finger in my face.

"Don't put your damn hands on me again," I yelled as I pushed her away from me. "What the hell is wrong with you!"

"That smart ass mouth and that damn attitude of yours! I've had about enough of it," she shouted back at me.

"Aye. What the hell is going on in here," Kevin asked as he stepped into view. He looked between me and my mom. "Hey Ms. Carrie. What are you doing here?"

Her chest heaved up and down. She moved her hair our of her face. "I came here to speak with my daughter. Now if you would excuse us we were in the middle of an important conversation."

"No disrespect Ms. Carrie, but I think this conversation is over. You can see yourself out."

She took a step back and looked Kevin up and down. "No disrespect Kevin," she smirked, "but you don't live here. You're just a guess. You can't kick me out of my daughter's apartment."

"Well I think Alyssa would beg to differ."

She looked over at me. "Oooh. So you let him move in?" She looked Kevin up and down. "You really got her pressed over some---"

"Ma," I said cutting her off, "you need to stop worrying about me and what I'm doing and start concerning yourself with how you're going to take care of Ángel."

She turned her head and looked back at me. "So Nicky told you," she said sourly. "I can't say I'm surprised."

"Give him a break ma. He was excited."

"Yeah. Well not for long," she shrugged. "Once my son is born I'm leaving and I'm taking him with me."

"What," I gasped. "You can't do that to Dominick; not a second time. He has rights. He's Ángel's father."

"Well the jury's still out on that, so."

My mouth hung open. I was stumped. "Every time I think you can't do anything else to surprise me you prove me wrong."

She arrogantly shrugged her shoulders and smirked. "What can I say? The element of surprise has always been my specialty."

"Okay. You need to leave," I said grabbing ahold of her arm and shoving her towards the door. "Let me go," she said as she snatched her arm away from me. She looked back at me as she reached for the door knob.

"And I think this goes without saying, but do not discuss the future of my child with Dominick. I'll be the one to handle that." She looked down at my stomach. "You focus on your child and I'll focus on mine. Are we clear?"

"I can't guarantee anything."

"Just like you can't guarantee that you won't miscarry your first child. It seems that we are more alike than you think," she smirked.

"I'm going to carry this baby to term," I said more to myself than her.

She stepped closer to me. "I was right the first time. Wouldn't it be ashame if I was right the second?"

"Hold up! Is that a threat," Kevin said walking up to her.

"I mean, if you have to ask...," She smirked before walking away. "Don't forget what I said," she yelled over her shoulder. I slammed the door shut and walked back into the bedroom. I sat on the edge of the bed. Kevin came in and leaned against the doorway.

I wiped my tears away. "I can't believe her," I sniffed. "She is not the same woman who raised me. I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to this, but I'm filing a restraining order on her. I can't take it anymore Kevin."

"I'm behind you one hundred percent," he said as he joined me on the bed. He threw an arm around me and leaned my head into his chest. "We need to schedule that doctor's appointment," Kevin said as he rubbed the side of my arm. I wiped my face. "I already did. We have an appointment next week," I replied.

"Good," Kevin said as he kissed the top of my head. "I think the baby is going to be fine, but it doesn't hurt to be safe."

"I agree," I sniveled.

We were silent for a long time when there was a knock at the door. "I'll get it," Kevin said standing up from the bed.

When I heard Kevin talking I threw on a pair of sweats and went to investigate.

"Oh hey dad," I said cheerfully as I entered into the living room. "What are you doing here? Did Kevin tell you mommy paid me a visit a little while ago," I said as I headed towards the front door where he stood.

"Well I---"

I cut him off. "Dominick," I questioned with a raised brow when he walked through the door. I looked between him and my dad. Kevin now stood awkwardly in the middle. "Okay what is going on?"

The two men looked at each other. "I told Dominick to meet me here. We need to talk," my dad said.

I held my hand up to my face and closed my eyes. I sighed. "Okay," I said looking back up at them, "What is this about?"

"Your mother," they said in unison.

I tossed my head back and groaned. "Of course it is."