I. MALFOY AND NOTT

Start from the beginning

      He looked different, somehow. It had only been a few months since she'd seen him, but he looked ragged and worn like he'd been through so much it had altered him inside and out. But when he looked up and caught her eye and sent her a soft smile, it was the same expression of the boy she'd grown up with. And then she was suddenly moving so quickly that if someone had blinked, they'd have missed it. Theo's arms were already ready for her body when she crashed into him, wrapping her arms around his neck in a hug. He held her tightly, gripping her skin like he was terrified she'd disappear if he let go. A million words flew into her head, but none of them would ever be enough. A simple "I missed you" wouldn't even begin to cover how Nova had felt over the summer, the first one spent away from him. So, instead, she settled for nothing but his name, clinging obnoxiously to him but not caring. 

      The embrace was broken by Blaise, who cleared his throat. "Might want to come inside, guys. The rest of the Slytherins aren't too pleased with Nova and I'm worried they'll tell your father."

      Those words were enough to break Nova away from her brother, but she didn't travel far from him at all. After months of being away, she didn't want to leave his side. "Did Father tell you anything when you left for school?" she questioned.

      "He doesn't want me talking to you. Said he'd find out if I did." Theo shrugged, seemingly unbothered by the threat. "I don't care, Nova. I missed you too much to care."

      But Nova, always the protective twin, shook her head. "Don't say you don't care. I don't want you getting hurt." Theo opened his mouth to argue, but she shook her head again. "Let's not talk about that right now. We'll figure it out, we always do. Tell me about your summer. Both of you," she added, gesturing back and forth between her brother and Blaise. The twins returned to their seats, and it made Nova smile softly when Theo immediately twined his fingers through Blaise's. 

      "Summer was fine," Theo said. "It was hard not having you around but..." Theo trailed off and Nova was delighted to see his cheeks twinge pink. "I hung out with Blaise more often than not." Blaise smiled at Theo's embarrassment and squeezed his hand. "Malfoy sometimes, too. He, er, found out about Blaise and me. He was alright with it. I could tell it took him a little while to get used to seeing us together, but not in a bad way."

      Nova hadn't told him about Malfoy's discovery at the end of the previous year, and the way he'd confided in her on the train ride back. She knew Malfoy was okay with Blaise and Theo being together. "Even if he wasn't alright with it, his opinion doesn't matter. If you're happy, he should be happy for you. And you look very happy, Theo," Nova mentioned with a smile. 

      "And you?" He asked softly, watching as she bristled in her seat. "I heard about... you know. Were his brothers treating you okay?"

      Nova appreciated the effort Theo was making. She could tell by the grimace that he wasn't too keen on discussing Fred and George Weasley, but he was trying to her. And that meant more than anything in the world. "They treated me wonderfully. I was safe and happy this summer, Theo." She didn't mention the prank toys they had shoved in her suitcase, figuring Theo wouldn't react well. She opened her mouth to say something else when Malfoy suddenly entered the compartment, Prefect badge shown in all its glory. He nodded towards Blaise and Theo before flopping himself down ungracefully next to Nova.

      Things were tense, to say the least. Nova knew that underneath Draco's sleeve was the Dark Mark, but Draco didn't know that Nova knew about the newest addition to his skin. Luckily, Nova didn't have to say much because the compartment door was opening once again and a young second year Slytherin was standing there with a scroll in her hands. "I'm supposed to deliver this to Blaise Zabini," she said in a standoffish tone, trying too hard to conform to the stereotype of being a Slytherin. Nova had to give the girl credit where credit was due. She didn't waver under the harsh glare Malfoy sent her way as she handed the scroll to Blaise and left the compartment after Malfoy made a scoffing noise that would have scared anyone off.