Chapter One

Platform 9 and ¾ seemed more crowded than usual this year; I haven’t a clue why, it just did.  Everywhere you looked people were saying goodbye to loved ones and boarding the train, occasionally a family member would run up to one of the train’s windows and hand a child a forgotten item. 

“Alright, are you sure you’ve got everything, Lottie?”  Dad asked.

“Yes, Daddy.  For the millionth time today, I’m sure I’ve got everything.”  I assured him, rolling my eyes.

“I’m just making sure!  You know it’s a hassle when you forget stuff!”  Dad said.

“I know, I know.”  I agreed.  The train’s whistle sounded, letting everyone know they only had five minutes left to board the train.  “Bye, Dad!”  I said, throwing my arms around him and hugging him tightly.

“Bye, Lottie.”  He said, hugging me back.  When we let go, he put his hands on my shoulders and said, “Lottie, promise me one thing?”

“Of course!”  I nodded.

“Promise me that you’ll at least try to make a friend this year?”  He asked.

“Umm…”  I uttered, my eyes going wide.

“Please, Lottie?  I promise you it’s not so bad.”  He persuaded.

“Er…Yes, alright, I promise.”  I sighed, defeated.

“That’s my girl!”  Dad grinned.  “Now get on that train before it leaves without you!”

“Alright!  Bye, Daddy!”  I said, turning around and walking to the train, dragging my trunk along behind me.

“Bye, Lottie!”  Dad called out to me as I walked away. 

I boarded the train and looked around for an empty compartment; I finally found one near the back of the train.  I didn’t bother to lift my suitcase out of the way and onto the rack above me, it would be wasted effort as no one ever sits with me.  I pulled The Count of Monte Cristo out of my small bag that held things to do on the train, so I didn’t have to dig through my trunk to find things to do when I got bored, and sat down, propping my feet up on the seat across from me.

I had almost gotten to the part where Edmond encounters Caderousse for the first time after his imprisonment when the door to my compartment slid open.  I looked up to see Raine standing just behind the compartment door.  “Hi!  Do you mind if I sit in here with you?  I’ve been kicked out of my own compartment because my idiots need to talk about secret things.”  She put air quotations around ‘secret’.

“I don’t mind.”  I said softly.

“Great thanks!”  She said, looking relieved.  “Hey!  Wait a second!  I know you!”  She enthused, taking a seat across from me.  “You’re that girl my brother walked into in Diagon Alley!  Right?”  I nodded my head.  “You’re not much of a talker, are you?  That’s okay.  I can talk enough for the both of us!”

Dad’s words from earlier rang through my head, promise me that you’ll at least try to make a friend this year?

“What are you reading?”  She asked.  I held up my book a bit higher so that she could read the title.  “The Count of Monte Cristo?!  I love that book!”  She squealed.  “Have you read it before?”  I nodded and she grinned.  “My favorite part is where The Count and Albert are planning to duel but Mercedes goes and talks to The Count and convinces him to let Albert live.  I cry every time!”    

“I like the ending.  When I first read it, I was disappointed that he and Mercedes didn’t end up together, but after reading through it a few more times, I’ve realized he and Haydee are perfect for each other.  He and Mercedes had too much under the bridge to ever be a functional couple again.”  I said faintly.