CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

Start from the beginning

"Are all the kids here?" Adrian asked, keeping his voice low. He knew the youngest kids were in the living room, but he also knew a lot of the teenagers and pre-teens were spread out through the house. Most of them were keeping watch, weapons at the ready, while others were either spending time with friends or getting some well-deserved rest. Adrian made a mental note to check all the bedrooms and make sure there were people keeping watch in the ones where kids were sleeping.

"When I was given the list," Aline murmured as she chewed on the end of a blue pen, "they told me that there were fifty-three kids here, and about thirty are under twelve. I've only got forty-seven here." Something seemed to occur to her then. She raised her head and pinned Isabelle with a questioning look, a frown on her face. "Max is with the Silent Brothers, right?" When Isabelle nodded, Aline released a relieved sigh and put a check mark beside a name. "I have forty-eight. Two are missing."

"Which two?" Adrian asked. "Maybe they have older siblings we can ask." Aline nodded in agreement as she searched the list. She stopped and tapped at the paper with her pen.

"Livia and Tiberius Blackthorn," she read. Right after, she sucked in a sharp breath. Adrian felt his stomach drop through the floor. Livia and Tiberius were a set of twins, only ten-years-old and Helen's younger brother and sister. Adrian had never had the chance to meet them himself. The Blackthorns tended to stay away from Idris unless it was absolutely necessary, and they especially didn't bring the younger children unless there was no other option. Adrian released a long, heavy sigh and ran his hands through his hair. He turned his gaze away just in time to see a familiar blond head step into the room, blankets piled in his arms.

"Mark!" Adrian called, perhaps a bit too loudly. He stopped and winced. Thankfully, none of the sleeping kids woke up, and Mark Blackthorn picked his way through the small bodies spread out across the floor. Adrian waited until Mark had reached his side before he spoke. "Where are the twins?" Mark blinked at the question, trying to feign a look of confusion. Adrian saw right through it, raising a single eyebrow and staring Mark down until he broke.

"They're safe," Mark said with a small, defeated sigh. His shoulders curved inward when Adrian's unimpressed stare sharpened into a glare. Mark averted his gaze and scratched at the back of his neck. "They're in the house and they're safe. I promise. It's just—Ty is upset. Livvy would never let him leave the house, they're both fine, Ty just needs—" Mark broke off and pressed his lips together, shooting a suspicious look around him, as if he was afraid of eavesdroppers. Adrian, raising an eyebrow, motioned for Mark to follow him into the hallway.

"Helen told me that Ty is..." Autistic, his mind supplied. The only reason he knew the word was because of Oliver, who often watched over the younger wolves when he was needed. Adrian had helped him once, and he had met Jasmine, who he had said was on the spectrum. Adrian hadn't had any idea what he was talking about at the time. Shadowhunters didn't research things that were different. They buried it, acted like it didn't exist. They were even forbidden from getting treatment from mundane hospitals, so disabilities or terminal illnesses often went untreated.

The more Adrian learned of the mundane world, the more he was starting to despise his own.

"There's nothing wrong with him," Mark said sharply, bringing Adrian out of his thoughts. He was even a bit startled, blinking rapidly at Mark's sharp tone. Mark deflated when he noticed Adrian's startled expression, and he let out a soft sigh.

"I never said there was," Adrian said softly, offering a gentle smile. "Look, it's okay if he was upset and overwhelmed by everything, but we still need to know where he and Livvy are. If demons attack the house, protecting the kids will be our first priority. We can't have people panicking because no one can find Livvy and Ty." Mark nodded at that, looking almost embarrassed. He rocked on his heels for a moment, then heaved a heavy sigh and motioned for Adrian to follow him. He led Adrian up the stairs. They ended up stopping in front of the bedroom Isabelle had been using. Mark knocked twice on the door, then twisted the knob and stepped inside. Adrian stayed in the threshold, leaning his shoulder against the frame and watching with his arms crossed over his chest. Livvy and Ty were both curled up on the bed; Ty had a book in his lap, while Livvy was fiddling with a small blade, twisting it around her fingers nervously.