Chapter 28: The Smoke Has Cleared

Start from the beginning

"Alyssa we not doing that," Faye teased as his hand motioned back and forth for me to cut it out. I walked over to him with my arms wide. "Don't come over here," Faye said as I got closer. He tried to shrug me off of him as I hugged him tightly.

"Group hug," Mya yelled as she ran to our dad. We followed behind her and ran over to him. We climbed onto his bed and engulfed him in a big hug.

The nurse came in and laughed when she saw us sprawled out all over our dad.

"Nurse get these grown people off of me," he laughed.

The nurse shook her head and laughed. "Since everything is going well I'll come back later."
...
After the visit with dad was over we all stood in the lobby huddled together. "So we can still come over right," Mya asked giddily. "Yes y'all can still come," I smiled at her.

"Cool. How bout we meet you back at your place in like an hour," Faye suggested. "I need to get some food first."

"Yo. Same," Terrance agreed.

"Okay. That's fine," I replied. "Is everyone else cool with that," I asked.

"Yeah," Tyreek said. Keyona nodded her head and Mya grinned, shaking her head yes.

"Great. See y'all in an hour," I said to them. I turned to Kevin. I ran my hand down his arm and grabbed his hand. "Baby you ready to go?"

"Yeah. Let's get out of here," he smiled. He grabbed my waist and pulled me close. "Okay then," I smiled. "See y'all shortly," I said over my shoulder to my siblings. "See ya," Mya waved.

I was so glad to finally leave the hospital, especially with good news. All of us were relieved.

"Alyssa!"

I turned around. My mom swiftly walked towards me. I opened the passanger door and huffed. "What do you want," I said dryly.

"I know you want to tell them about your father and I, but I need to tell them in my own way. Just---please," she pleaded, "they need to hear it from me."

"No chance in hell," I said as I stepped one foot into the car. "You're gonna feed them so lame ass story like you tried to do me and I just can't let that happen. But you can still tell dad. Ya know, about the baby---" My mom stood in the parking lot with teary eyes, "And me," I said surly just before fully getting into the car and slamming the door shut. I fastened my seat belt and urged Kevin to drive off.

Kevin quickly looked over at me and then back in front of him. "I'm sorry," he said with his eyes locked on the road again. "For what," I said looking out the car window. "That you have to go through all this...with your mom. I know how tight y'all were." I looked over at Kevin. "Yeah. That's what hurts the most. I'll never look at her the same."

Kevin grabbed my hand and brought it to his lips. "I know baby. I know," he mumbled into the back of my hand."

We pulled up to a fast food place and parked. I sat back in my seat and looked at him for what felt like a long time. "I love you so much."

"I know," Kevin said; his mouth slowly forming into a grin.

"Don't do that," I smiled, "I'm not finished." His face told me to go on.

I exhaled. "I need you to know that I'm marrying you, because I love you." I grabbed his hand. "I absolutely adore you Kevin and I'm not gonna give up on you or our marriage if things get rocky or whatever, okay. I'm here to stay."

Kevin grinned. "I love you too and I'm not about to let anyone snatch you up from up under me. Ju heard meh," Kevin teased. I laughed. "You already promised me forever," he said, "aaand you agreed to marry me twice. So it's lit. We ain't going nowhere."

I leaned in and kissed him. "You are absolutely right about that," I smiled. "Now let's go inside and eat. I'm eating for two now!"

Kevin sucked his teeth playfully. "How long you gon' milk this one?"

With my hand on the door handle I looked back at Kevin and laughed maniacally. "Nine months."

He put his hands up and groaned jokingly. "Oh my goodness!" He said getting out of the car. "Let's go." I laughed amply.

Kevin grinned and grabbed my hand. "Let's go get this food so we can make it back to the apartment before everyone else."
...
One hour later

"It's open," I called out. All five of my siblings burst through the door. "Whaddup, whaddup," Faye said as he came into the apartment behind Keyona. "Oh shoot. This is nice. Okay. I see you Lys," he said aloud as he looked around. Everyone else just found a seat and sat down.

I was in the kitchen fumbling around when everyone hinted that they were waiting on me.

"Oh my bad y'all. I'm coming. I'm coming." When I exited the kitchen and turned the corner Kevin caught me. "Baby imma get ready to head out," he whispered to me."

"What? Why" I whined.

"This is a conversation that you and your siblings need to have alone, okay. Call me if you need me baby."

I held onto him. "But I want you to stay." Kevin chuckled. "I understand that, but I want to give y'all y'all space to talk alright?"

"Aight baby," I said as he kissed my forehead.

Ty cleared his throat.

"Still waiting," Faye called out.

"Gahlee. Can y'all just stop boo lovin' for one minute please," Terrance teased. "Geesh."

"Shut up T. He was just leaving," I said as I walked Kevin to the door. Kevin leaned down and gave me a few quick pecks on the lips. "Alright everybody," he said addressing my siblings. "I'll holla at y'all later." They all said their goodbyes.

"Okay," I said walking into the living room. I stood amidst my siblings. I clasped my hands together and took a deep breath. "This might be harder than I thought," I said to myself.