Chapter 25: Things Fall Apart

Start from the beginning

"Fiancè ma," I interrupted. "Kevin's my fia---"

"I said what I said," she snapped back. "I know y'all are getting married soon! I was there for the engagement. Listen you're an adult and I expect you to act accordingly." She took a deep breath. "I am not naive. I knew you were having sex long before today, but please---just promise me you're being safe. We don't need any more babies before their time."

I tilted my head forward and leaned inwardly toward my mom. "Is somebody among the James clan pregnant?" I whispered.

"That is neither here nor there, just be responsible."

"I am ma. What's the prob---"

She shushed me. "Please. Stop talking." She sat down and put her hand on her head. She had a woosah moment.

I raised my eyebrow. "Ma are you okay? You seem a bit---on edge."

"It's just that I was taken aback when I saw you and Kevin earlier. I'm sorry. My emotions are all over the place today," she said getting a little misty.

"Nope," I said slowly, "I don't think that's it." I looked at her for a moment. I raised my eyebrow. "Ma--" I paused and took a step back, "are you---pregnant?"

The look in her face told me that I hit the nail on the head.

"Damn ma. Does dad know," I whispered.

"No."

"Wow," I mouthed.

"You better not say anything to your siblings. Especially not Keyona. I know how close y'all are."

"You don't have to worry. You're secret is safe with me," I said standing up. I wrapped my mom in a hug. Mya opened up the door and stared in concern when she saw me hugging mom. "What happened," she mouthed. I knew our dad sent her to ask mom if she was ready. I held my finger up to my mouth and mouthed for her to shut the door. Mya was compliant and did what was asked of her.

"Ma," I said slowly unraveling my arms from around her. "Dad is probably wondering where we are. Come on. We have to get back out there."

My mom wiped her eyes and checked her face in the mirror. She tried the best she could to perk up. "Okay. Let's go."

We headed back into the living room where everyone waited for us. I walked over to Kevin and sat down beside him. "Everything okay," he whispered discreetly in my ear. I kissed his hand and nodded yes.

"Okay," my dad started. "I know y'all are probably anxious to know why we brought y'all here."

"Well. I mean just a little bit," our eldest brother, Faye, teased. He was named Lafayette which is our dad's middle name, but we call him Faye for short.

"Well let's get to it," my dad laughed nervously. He grabbed my mother's hand and she squeezed his hand back tightly. "Oh shit," I mumbled to myself. I knew where this was going.

"You're mother and I---" my dad paused for a second before reconvening. "You're mother and I have decided to go our separate ways---"

Everyone gasped and looked around at each other in disbelief.

"What," Tyreek said. "Are y'all serious right now!"

"Now wait a minute. If you all would just give us a moment to explain---"

Tyreek wasn't having it. He stood up and walked outside. Our dad put his head down in frustration. I ran outside and caught him before he got far. "Ty. Let's just hear them out at least. Come back inside. Please Ty," I begged. Tyreek sucked his teeth. "Why Lys! What the hell they gon' say to us that we don't already know, huh!"