[1] Sleep - Nightmares

Start from the beginning

She looked shocked, and then quickly regained her professional composure, sitting up straight and looking at me with a calm collected stare.

"Did you see who was choking you?" She cocked her head slightly, and I barely resisted the urge to roll my eyes.

"Yes," I stated again, this time my voice sounding a bit less hoarse.

She nodded her head quickly. "And who was it?" Even my foster dads had looked at me surprised, like they hadn't expected me to answer.

I leaned closely, sending a quick glance behind me as though I thought someone would be there. The woman leaned closely as well, thinking I was probably too scared to say it aloud in the small cramped room.

"Promise not to tell anyone," I muttered and she nodded immediately. "I can't tell anyone." She replied, and I swallowed.  "A magical unicorn," I whispered pretending to be scared. "I think he went by the name of Bob."

The woman huffed, rolling her eyes and settling back into her chair, disappointment scratched across her features.

Evan facepalmed, and Brandon simply shook his head.

"Well, I think that will be all for today," The woman said sounding annoyed, as she turned to her computer. 

"Yep," Brandon stated, shaking his head. "Might as well..."

Evan sighed, standing up and looking at me worriedly, before getting over to the door. "Thank you, Barbara." He said over to the woman, and I blinked.

Ah, so Bar-... Oops. Forgot her name already.

Whatever.

~

"I can't belive you did that, Jasper." Evan was groaning as he climbed into the car. I slid in the back calmly, and shrugged, glancing out the window.

Brandon was staring out the window with a blank expression, and I tried not to grimace at the thought of what he might be thinking.

Who knew? Maybe I was going back to the adoption agency...

God, I hope not.

"You could at least answer your dad," Brandon muttered, and I shrugged again, not bothering to hide my annoyance. I wish they would just leave me alone.

 It's not like I hated them or anything, I mean, however weird it was to have two dads, I still liked them. Not that it would last very long, I'm sure. It would probably last a few weeks before they gave up on trying to have a kid, or rather me, and go back to the adoption center to see if they had a return policy.

Which, they did.

Not that my foster parents needed to know that.

They even had a, 'Go ahead and pick another kid because the one you grabbed wasn't useable!' sorta thing going on.

Ugh.

Evan slammed on the breaks, and I tried not to wince at the screeching noise. He turned back to glare at me. 

"What did we do wrong!?" He demanded and I swallowed, trying hard not to flinch. I never liked it when people yelled.

I shrugged, but apparently this wasn't a good answer as he whipped around and buried his face in his hands. "I don't know what I'm doing wrong." He mumbled under his breath, and I grimaced.

He didn't do anything wrong. I just didn't like speaking when it wasn't needed.

"You didn't do anything wrong," I muttered and his gaze snapped up to meet mine.

"Then why don't you go to school? Then why do you not talk to Barbara? Then why do you have nightmares? Then why don't you have friends? And why don't you speak!?"

I shrank back into my seat with every sentence, and shook my head slightly at the last one. 

None of those things were his fault. Those were just things that... well, I always had dealt with.

"Not your fault." I mumbled, and even Brandon looked surprised, like he thought maybe I would start magically speaking more often.

Not like that was actually going to happen or anything.

Dad one sighed, slumping back into his seat.

"You're going to school on Monday." He stated in a tone that said no arguments. My eyes widened at his words, and the feeling of terror overwhelmed me as my heart sank.

No, no, no.

"No!" I yelped out, and he flinched as though my words had caused him physical pain.

"You have to, it's the law." He sighed, and I shook my head. "No, I can't go!"

Evan bit his lip, looking worried before he sighed. "I'm sorry, but you have to get an education."

Brandon looked worried himself, and I clenched my fists. I didn't understand why they would be worried. They were the ones forcing me to go to...

Evan started the car, and I squeezed my eyes shut tightly. Monday was the day after tomorrow, I realized with growing dread. 

The day I would have to go to school.

Fuck.