-first day.

-brooke

it's my first day at a new school, in a new town, in a new state. i used to live in atlanta, georgia. the peach state! the boring ass peach state! i know, i know. exciting! anyway, my dad moved me and my brother to california because-

"brooke! c'mon downstairs so we can go to school!" i hear my older brother, alex, yell from downstairs, totally not interrupting my thoughts.

"coming!" i shout back as i look myself over in the mirror in my bedroom. i guess i look alright. i grab my bag and run downstairs to the kitchen, smiling sweetly at my dad when we meet eyes. "bye, daddy." i say, pecking his cheek.

"wait, you guys are really leaving now?" my dad questions, frowning slightly. i respond with a nod.

"yeah, dad. she's already made us late." alex says with quite the attitude, causing me to glare at him.

i roll my eyes at him and head to the garage. "whatever. let's just go. bye, dad, love ya!" i call as i walk into the garage, my brother following right after me.

once we're on our way to school, alex looks over at me from the corner of his eyes. "where are your clothes?" he asks, clearly annoyed about my outfit choice.

"um, on my body?" i say with attitude. "it's not even that bad. i'm just wearing shorts and a crop top." i continue, shrugging.

alex sighs as he pulls into the school parking lot. "well, as long as no guys look, touch or comment on your outfit, i'm fine." alex always has been the overprotective older brother type, which is fine.

sometimes.

we both walk into the school and go our separate ways to our first class. i didn't even make us that late. he's such a drama queen.

once i walk into my first class, science, i already feel all eyes on me, causing me to get a little red.

"ah, yes, you must be ms. williams?" my teacher, mr. james, asks with a soft smile.

i nod slowly and glance around the room quickly. yup. all eyes on me. "uh, yeah. that's me."

"well, just find a seat anywhere." mr. james says, nodding to the tables in front of us.

i just nod again and look around for empty seats until i finally find one in the back. a whole table to myself! i think to myself. i set my stuff down and take a seat when i hear the door open. i look up and see two guys walk in.

mr. james looks over at them and sighs. "mr. kuwonu. mr. porter. you're late for the second time this week." he says, clearly angered.

the blonde one speaks up first. "sorry, mr. james. my car broke down on the way to school and-"

"i don't care." mr. james says, interrupting him. "just- take your seats, please."

oh no, they probably sit here. i think to myself, mentally facepalming myself.

they both make their way to the back and look at me oddly. "uh, there's a new chic in my seat." the other boy says to the teacher.

"well, mr. kuwonu, i suggest you find a new seat then." mr. james says, not taking his eyes off the board.

the blonde one takes his seat next to me and the other one groans and finds another seat in the room.

"hey, i'm austin." the blonde kid whispers to me with a cute smile.

"brooke." i mumble shyly.

"you new? i've never seen you around before."

"if you've never seen me before, wouldn't that have to mean i'm new?" i say with a little attitude, just trying to focus on the lesson.

austin chuckles softly. "yeah, i guess it would."

for the rest of the class, austin kept trying to make conversation with me, but i kept shutting it down. when the bell rang i quickly gathered my things and stood, heading for the door.

"yo, brooke!" i hear austin call which makes me roll my eyes, ignoring him and continuing to walk to my next class. sadly, he catches up to me, with his friend by his side. "you need help getting to your next class?" austin asks sweetly.

"nope." i answer, popping the p.

"dang, porter," the tall friend laughs. "you're getting shut down by the new girl."

austin glares up at his friend. "oh, shut it, z."

while they're talking, i take that as my chance to sneak away. once i'm in my next class, i find another empty seat and i look at everyone flowing into the class. and i see, none other than, z, i think? and austin, along with a new friend.

this is gonna be a looong day.