“He got me cornered in the barn, where my dad and Titus had been branding calves, but they'd left the iron rod in the fire. This was back when we'd shared some open range land with the Munstons. Anyway, he took it, and all I can remember is him just screaming.”

Taivon chuckled, a small smile coming onto his face. “He got me over the head with it, and I was knocked flat on my face. And then he just...did it. He took that hot piece o' metal and just pressed it into my side.

“I'd never felt anything like that before, in my entire life. I just screamed. And then he was screaming, too. I remember him throwing the cattle brand into the fire again and just sitting down next to me, putting my head in his lap and telling me I could do the same to him, if it would make me feel better.

“I didn't, of course, but he told my Ma and Dad what he'd done, and they took me to the hospital. I had this gauze pad wrapped around my stomach for months. Tobias always changed it for me, though. He brought me all my food, made sure I was comfy, and did literally everything for me, even though I was just fine.”

“Woah.”

“Yeah.” He chuckled. “He didn't even get into that much trouble, either. That was my older brother's job. Thrane. I don't know why they hate each other so much, but him and Titus were always at each other's necks. Still are, actually. And everybody loves Titus. I mean, who wouldn't? He's my best friend.”

“What's he like?” she asked. “He's married, right? The one with baby Ella?”

“Yeah, she's my goddaughter. One of the cutest little girls I've ever seen. She's about five months old right now. You'll like her, and Titus, and Anna. And the rest of my family.”

Alix gulped. She'd only ever been introduced to a boyfriend's family one other time. It hadn't gone too well. “I don't really think that's the best-”

“Please, Alix.” He all but pleaded with her. “It's just a few days during Thanksgiving.”

Thanksgiving, which was about a month and a half away from now. While she was confident that this thing they had going wasn't just a quick, couple-of-months-long fling, she couldn't help but be a little nervous. Family members could be hard to impress, but from what he said about his family, they sounded pretty easygoing. However, still a little intimidating.

“How about this?” He kept her hand on his hip as he turned around to fully look down at her. “I'll cut ya a deal.”

“And what's that?”

“You get to massage me, only if-”

“I thought me getting to massage you was a given.”

“Not anymore. You just made it complicated.”

“Oh,” she said, “I made it complicated? You're the one who-”

He silenced her by pressing his lips against hers. She gasped, and he took that opportunity to tangle his fingers through her hair as she latched onto his lean hips. It was fiery, and it was amazing, his tongue taking control of hers as her body pressed against his bare chest.

Taivon pulled back, nipping her lip in the process. “Don't interrupt.” After she nodded, he said, “Now, about our deal. You get to massage me, but only if you agree to come and meet my family for Thanksgiving.”

“Fine,” she said. “You push a hard bargain, Taivon Cantrell. But I accept your terms.”

“Good.” He kissed her again, and this time, it was him who led her down onto the couch. “Now, which way do you want me?”