Chapter 3

The next couple of weeks went by way too quickly. I wasn't ready for the trip to be so soon but it was tomorrow. I was still at work but all I could think about was the packing I had to do.

My work was piled up and I didn't have enough time to finish it all before I left. 

I sighed, defeated as I realized that all I could do was finish as much as possible and leave the rest for someone else. I felt awful doing that but I was only going away for a week.

It was finally time to go home. As soon as I got to my car to head home my phone rang. It was Michelle.

"Hey" I answered.

"Hi!" She shouted, I pulled the phone away from me ear to stop her from hurting my ear drum as she yelled into the phone.

"Are you excited, Caylee? We leave tomorrow!" She sang as she said tomorrow.

I chuckled, "Yeah, I'm just a little overwhelmed. I didn't finish all my work and I still have a lot of packing to do." I said honestly.

"I'm ready now so I can come help you pack and forget about work. It'll be there waiting for you when you get back."

"You're right. I'm about to pull out of work now so you can come over whenever."

"Cool, I'll head there now."

"Okay, see you in a bit."

"Bye" She said as we hung up.

I drove home determined to forget about work and focus on my first week off in years.

I got home quickly, I had just missed the crazy traffic. I opened my front door and was greeted by both of my cats. I headed to the kitchen to feed them their dinner.

My mom is going to come and feed them for me while I'm away. She lives about fifteen minutes from me.

I was about to head upstairs to start packing when the doorbell rang and there was incessant knocking on the door.

Michelle is here.

I opened the door to let her in. She was dressed in her pajama pants and a hoodie.

"Hey, girl! Let the packing begin." She announced as she walked in.

I laughed and shut the door. "Perfect timing, I was just about to start."

We both headed upstairs. I grabbed my suitcase and began to put some clothes into it. Michelle immediately took them out.

"Caylee, we're going to California. Why would you pack clothes for fall in New York?" She said as she put them back in the closet.

"Just sit and let me do this." She said as she made me sit on the bed while she went through all my clothes.