Chapter 6: Lurker ✔️

Start from the beginning

The plan proceeded just as Caspian and Peter laid out. Some of the Narnians spread out to keep watch while the others were in charge of acquiring the weapons. Caspian was assigned to clear the area to allow the rest of them to get what was needed.

Mary was the first to try and make it to one of the carts filled with ammunition. She moved out of the bush she was hiding behind and tip toed towards the closest one, breath held as she cautiously watched a Telmarine patrolling nearby. Just as she neared the case, he spun around and Mary instantly ducked, palms sweating at the probability of getting caught. She stayed down to wait for Caspian's official signal, which he gave after an excruciatingly long minute later. She unlatched the lock and opened the hatch, revealing stacks of weapons inside. With a victorious grin, she motioned for the others to follow and open the remaining carts.

However, the same Telmarine who almost caught her suddenly came strolling back that same way. Peter instructed them to not kill or fatally injure anyone — which Mary wasn't sure she'd have the heart to do anyway) — but he had locked eyes with them. They were caught.

Mary grabbed a random dagger from inside the cart and threw it at him. Her aim wasn't very good, especially in the dark, but it managed to land on his thigh. He cried out in pain, collapsing to the ground. Caspian ordered everyone to pick up the pace before the other patrolling guards found them, and then he hurriedly instructed some of them to "take care" of the Telmarine. Mary wasn't sure if that mean he would be killed, but she didn't have time to see the end result because Caspian was ushering them to head back into the woods again. For the final touch, Caspian carved a message onto one of the wooden carts:

YOU WERE RIGHT TO FEAR THE WOODS
X

And then, he was hurrying back and catching up with the rest of the Narnians. They had succeeded, having collected enough weapons and armor for two regiments.

Back at the camp, the Pevensies were still up, waiting for Mary's return along with the others who volunteered to go on their quick mission. When they heard shuffling noises coming from the trees, they stood up, swords and bows drawn as a precaution. It was only when Caspian and Mary stepped in, the faint light from the fire illuminating their faces, that they lowered their defenses and visibly relaxed.

"How did it go?" asked Peter.

"We got as much as we could," Mary said, showing off some of the items she held. Peter nodded on satisfaction, eyeing the other weapons that that were either being held in the own hands of the others, or placed in the small wagons that they also managed to steal.

"Good job. Let's pack them up for tomorrow. We leave first thing in the morning for Aslan's How."

✧ ✧ ✧

What felt like only a few minutes later but was actually after hours, Mary was being gently shaken by someone to wake up. She slowly opened her eyes to find Lucy hovering nearby. Rubbing her eyes sleepily, she looked around to check if anyone else was awake as well, but it was just the two of them.

"What're you doing up already?" Mary mumbled groggily.

"I just woke up and couldn't go back to sleep," Lucy explained sheepishly. "Besides, I think we're leaving soon. The sun looks like it's just about to rise."

Mary forced herself to sit up and looked at the sky, still dim in color but with a hint of light spilling in, confirming Lucy's words.

"So," Lucy continued. "What do you think of Narnia?"

Mary blinked, slightly caught off guard at the sudden question first thing in the morning.

"Oh, well, it's a beautiful place," she started. "Aside from the fact that it was invaded, of course. And the people — oh, and creatures — are wonderful, too. Why do you ask?"