Chapter 17 Φ

Chapter 17 Φ

I closed the phone booth's door, leaning against the wall for a minute. I held my lightweight jacket close to me as I contained my thoughts. Only a few people were around, passing every now and then. There were lamp posts lined across the street, and it was bright enough for such a dark night.

I picked up the receiver, inserted some coins, and made a call. It rang for a few times, before she answered it. With a muddled voice, she said, "Hello?"

"It's me," I replied.

"Anna?" she asked, pausing. "Did something happen? It's four in the morning."

"Yeah, I... I can't sleep."

"Why? And where are you calling from? It's a different number."

"My phone's battery is empty. I'm downstairs, near the entrance of our loft. There's a payphone here," I replied.

"Are you okay? What's going on?" Natalie worriedly asked.

"It's just..." I started, but I was unable to find the right words.

"What is it? Is there a problem?"

"Nat," I said, taking a breath. "Why do you think people lie?"

There was silence, but I could hear her as she got up from bed. I heard her close the door, walking somewhere. She probably opened her window and let the breeze in. It could have been my imagination, but I could hear the ocean from afar. After a moment, she said, "Some have bad intentions, like, maybe deceive you. I don't know."

"Do you think that's always the case?"

"No," she said to me. "I think for some, maybe they're doing it to protect the people they love."

"From what?"

"The truth."

"Why would they do that?"

"Because the truth is not always what you want it to be," she replied.

"And they think it'll be much better for them to believe a lie than know what's real?"

"Sometimes, I guess," she said, letting out a yawn.

I reasoned out, "But it doesn't feel great being lied to."

"Maybe. But it could also be less worse than knowing that truth, because there are some truths that are hard to bear," she explained.

"Will you do this to me?" I quietly asked.

She thought about it, before she said, "Yes."

"Even if I would be angry at you if I knew about it?"

"Yes, Anna. I... how do I say this. To be honest, I have omitted some truths from you recently. And..."

"But you didn't lie?"

She answered, "I hadn't been honest, either. I think it's the same thing."

"Okay," I said, hesitant. "And what made you do it?"

"It's because I'm not sure how ready you are to hear it," she admitted.

"Does this..." I held back the tears. Clearing my throat, I asked, "Does this involve my mother?"

She couldn't answer at first. But then I heard her sigh, saying, "Yes."

There it was again—that painful stab in the chest, working its way inside me and blocking out other emotions except for hatred. I bit my lips, forcing back the tears and sobs that were about to well out any moment. Was I the only one who hadn't known about all this?