06: Unyielding Lies

Start from the beginning

“THAT WHAT?” Holly yelled in outrage. “You sent the monster?”

“No, of course not! It snuck in through the hole you made. I was the one sealing the door again, killing that thing. I’m sorry, it was all… my mistake, I made you see all those troubling things, I didn’t know you were inside!”

Holly’s mouth fell open for a moment. “You still haven’t explained about what you’re working on.”

“I… I guess I can tell,” Emi hesitated. “It’s… it’s for your own sake, for that time when you’ll be able to step outside again. I’m trying to… I’m researching on how I can remove the curse from you, the curse that attracts evil towards you wherever you go. I thought by using the fake body I created, I could perform a soul transfer, and you’ll no longer be the cursed child you are. I had to copy all aspects of yourself – memories, feelings, beliefs, and all – lest you’ll lose your identity from your soul settling in a new brain.”

“Fake… body,” Holly repeated, letting what Emi said sink in.

“It’s supposed to be ready on your fifteenth birthday. Do… do you have any idea how long I’ve worked on this? I don’t want to bring it up, but I’ve worked years on that, Holly… hundreds, if not thousands of sleepless nights… for you, Holly. For you to live a normal life again.”

The revelation left Holly breathless. The explanation seemed to fit. Holly wrapped her arms round her guardian and hugged her tight. “Thank you,” she said on Emi’s front. Emi, being a head taller, patted her head.

But Holly was not that easily taken in. She listened to her guardian’s heartbeat. Emi’s heartbeat is barely above normal! Is she telling the truth? And Holly did what she planned: “SPELL 712: SATORI SIGHT!”

There was a crash as her spell broke through Emi’s mental defenses, and Holly saw something from the depths of Emi’s mind.

Blackness and void. “Luckily, a convenient lie, ehe,” said Emi’s voice, girly and high-pitched.

Then the scene changed.

A red-haired girl submerged in a glass container, struggling to free herself. She was shrieking in pain while bubbles escaped her mouth. “Help me! Make it stop! MOTHERR!!!” her scream increased in pitch, much of it smothered by the fluid she was suspended in. Emi’s face was reflected on the glass, indifferent, and she just jotted something on one of her files.

There was a bang, and Holly was thrown backwards as Emi expelled her from her mind. Landing sprawled on her back, Holly’s brown eyes were frightened orbs of disbelief.

“H-Holly…” Emi started. “I-I can explain…”

Holly scampered towards the door, struggling to open it. She roughly shook it. It was locked. “Let me out, you, you monster!

“Holly, please…”

“Shut up! Just, shut up! I trusted you…” Holly’s voice trailed away. “I’m getting out of here. Lucy! Lucy, help me!”

“Lucy is under maintenance,” Emi told her flatly. “I can’t let you go, Holly. Things like these need time to explain…”

“Lies! Lies, you old hag!” Holly snarled. “I’m getting out of here. If you won’t let me, then I’ll do it myself. O temporis et spatii…” Holly began her incantation, keeping an eye out in case Emi tried to stop her.

But to her surprise, Emi just sat down, her eyes staring at the hole in the ceiling, towards the dark, starry sky above. She sang softly, in a melancholic voice.