06: Unyielding Lies

Beginne am Anfang

Emi actually cracked a small, wistful smile.

“You might as well tell me everything now, Emi,” Holly continued.

Much to Holly’s surprise, the answer was a blatant “No.”

“Then I’m getting out of here. Don’t ever try to stop me or get me back. As much as I would like to understand your sickening games and experiments, I know better than to ask anymore.”

“Holly, don’t…”

Holly raised an eyebrow.

“… Because I’ll stop you,” Emi completed her sentence.

An explosion of energy followed, the blast of ethereal purple magic sending cracks along the floor. Tiny drops of blood fell.

Emi had caught Holly’s hand when the girl was about to launch a spell at her. For some reason, this time, in her rage, Holly’s spell was much more powerful, although not as powerful as the time she made that hole in the ceiling. The blood was from Emi’s hand.

Holly didn’t notice it before, but she only realized that her guardian’s right hand had lacerations that looked like wounds from a hot cauterizing iron. It did not appear to be caused by her spell just now. Her spell only made the wound bleed anew.

It’s from that time, when I blew the hole in the ceiling!

“You’re afraid of me,” Holly remarked.

“M-maybe,” Emi answered, “but I’m more afraid of losing you.”

“Is telling the truth so hard to do?”

Emi didn’t answer.

“How about lifting the Argus Jinx?”

This time Emi walked towards her, chanting something inaudible, and with her good hand, touched a point over Holly’s heart. Holly felt something left her, and herself feeling lighter.

After fifteen years? Just like that? Holly bit her lip. “Is this a mind game?”

“No. I lifted the Argus Jinx. Please don’t leave, Holly.”

“How can I trust you? You’re way better at magic than I am!” But Holly performed a few self-scanning spells anyway, touching her own forehead and mumbling incantations. She waited. No telltale signs appeared. “Now tell me, what’s in that room? Who am I? What are you doing all these years? What are you doing with those creepy pictures, files and things? What makes you dare breach my privacy? What am I to you? What is that thing that looked like me?” When she was done with the questions, Holly found herself hyperventilating.

Emi shook her head, trying to hold back her tears, but with little success. She began answering, “Well… um, Holly, people died because of you, and people will! You’re someone important to… to this world. I… I think the time is past… I won’t ask you to trust me anymore… just… stay with me… Don’t throw yourself away just like that, Holly. You’re important, to me and the world.”

Emi tried to wipe away her tears with her sleeves. “I did many strange things, for you. I’ve dedicated my life raising you up, Holly… I won’t ask you to… think of all the years I spent on you; you’re not the only one having her freedom painfully limited since I confined you. I can… show you the way, and you can choose either to follow me or not. You’re the Child of Memories, Holly, and I… I will tell you more but not now, not now when you’re all upset like this. I don’t want you to hate me. I want to tell you tomorrow, or some other time when these… these feelings passed, when we can laugh like sisters again. Just… don’t leave me, Holly. I’m afraid that you’ll never return. Didn’t that monster show you that you’ll be in grave danger once you step outside?”