Escape

She huddled in the corner shivering all over. Jasper, her beagle, shuffled further into her chest.

“He’s free, Jas. He’s not coming back,” she whispered feebly. She stroked the dog with a shaking hand. He whimpered slightly. Anna was lying in a cell in The Witch Institute, dying slowly as the last of Liam’s energy was being used up. He was no longer joined to her. She had freed him in their last moments together. That had used a lot of energy and she was very weak. She was being drained of her vital power and she wouldn’t be surprised if she was dead within a week. Just as she was fading into an uneasy sleep, a guard burst in, startling Anna. “It’s time for your trial,” he grunted. Though trials are hardly fair considering witches never win. They always end up being burnt or drowned, basically murdered.

Anna remembered the day that she had been dragged into the Summoning Courts. She remembered their cloaked figures, pointing crooked, pointy fingers at her. “Witch,” they had chanted in monotone, yet eerie voices. Though Anna had felt like screaming and killing every one of them, she was too weak and on the verge of crying. She missed Liam and she had just performed the separating spell. Her energy was leaving her fast. She didn’t protest. She just let the Guards take her and fling her limp body into a cell, where she was lying now and all she could think about was Liam.

Liam was the son of the Head of Witch Trials and had met Anna while hunting witches. She had joined energies with him so neither of them could be harmed. The energy from him went to her and her energy to him. The energy had gone around in a circle and when she was cut off from it she had weakened extremely fast. And now, Liam was going to see her die. What hurt the most was seeing his smug face when they set Anna alight. He had been furious that she had used him but, secretly she had felt something for him and it wasn’t exactly hatred. The guard yanked her up and dragged her out of the cell. She was so feeble that she couldn’t even walk or stand yet he pulled her harder. She yelped as he dropped her abruptly. Jasper was chewing aggressively on the guard’s ankle. He grunted and tried to kick Jasper away. Seeing Jasper get hurt enraged Anna. She somehow found strength and leapt at the guard.

“You take the girl, I got the mutt,” he growled, struggling between Anna and Jasper. Unbeknown to Anna a guard had been standing at the door, he too clad in a guards uniform, consisting of heavy armour and a balaclava masking his face. He bent down to pick Anna up. Anna fought to break his grip. She watched as the guard pushed Jasper into the cell and a gunshot was heard moments later.

Jaspers barking had ceased with a feeble whimper. The guard emerged carrying Jasper’s limp body. “I’m a gonna go bury the mongrel some where’s secretive, so’s she’s not gonna get at it,” he growled. “Watch her closely newbie, she can’t pull any tricks she’s too weak” The first guard leaned in and slapped her hard across the face. Anna thought she felt the guard behind her go rigid for a second. She watched as the first guard, carrying Jasper turn and tread heavily down the hallway. He opened a door at the end and disappeared. “No!” Anna erupted. She flailed her arms, knocking the guard sideways and made a break for the same exit. He pulled her back and she hit him hard in the gut, winding him slightly. He reached out and grabbed her arm and yanked her backwards, covering her mouth. She sank her teeth into his hand and turned to give her final blow. She stopped midair and gasped. In the struggle of the fight the balaclava had slipped off. Staring at her was a familiar face. A tanned face, with dark brown eyes and his jet black hair falling into them. “Stop,” he hissed. “Liam?” Anna whispered back. The sudden burst of energy had disappeared and had left her feeling drained. She collapsed into him. “Come on,” he whispered, more compassion in his voice than before.

“But Jasp-“Anna began. “Is in a better place,” he comforted, though his eyes were pleading her to come with him. “Can't guarentee the same fate for you if you stay here any longer” Only then Anna realised Liam had picked her up and was rushing towards the opposite exit. She stifled a wail as she whispered Jaspers name. Liam was halfway across the court when two guards entered, in a rusty green van. Liam dropped Anna and dragged her along the ground, spitting cruel words at her. She winced, believing his act a little too much. They pulled up alongside them. “Need a hand,” one of them grunted. “Uh, I got this” Liam mumbled in reply. “My partners waiting outside” “Outside, huh?” the guard looked them over suspiciously. “The lads in the red van, Gary,” the second guard snapped. “We were just talkin’ to ‘um” “Hmmf... whatever. Mind that one, son. She was one of the high class vermin” the first one growled. He started the engine; it groaned in protest and ambled forward. Anna let out a breath she hadn’t realised she’d been holding. “Idiots” Liam mumbled. “You alright?” he whispered gently. “Sorry about that. We have to convince them” He heaved her up again and made his way to the gate. It opened automatically as he approached it, creaking slightly. Anna was shaking with the cold and possibly fear. He placed her gently into the back of a red van and shrugged off his jacket. “Lads, turn up the heater, the prison is freezing” he winked at Anna and handed her his jacket. He clambered in beside her and she rested her head on his shoulder.

The engine rumbled and they set off. “What were you thinking!?” Anna snapped, the consequences dawning on her. “They’re just going to find me again and this time they’re going to finish what they started. I’m putting you and them in danger” She indicated to the two boys in the front. “But, if you do that energy spell again, then nobody’s gonna hurt us... not even my own father” he offered. “Anna, you may not love me but I sure as hell love you and if going behind my own fathers back isn’t enough to prove that, then what is?” She twisted around to face him. “Nothing, you’ve gained my trust but...” she trailed off. “Why me? I am so not good for you. You are....”she stopped herself, before saying what she had wanted to say for a long time. "You are gorgeous and sweet and smart and funny and..." She caught his eye and held his gaze. ‘ God, you could fall into those eyes forever’ she thought to herself. "Y-you could have anyone in the whole world..." she stammered, distracted by his dashing looks. 

He wiped a tear that had leaked from her fabulous eyes. “You are my whole world now, Anna” he breathed. “I know you can do that spell again” She looked away, trying to think of what she could say. ‘It’s not that simple’ or ‘I’m not bothered’ or she could run away and never say good bye but all she did was look up and kiss him.

*                                           *                                            *                                              *  

Hey guys! If you've made it this far CONGRATUALTIONS! This is my first story on Wattpad and I really hope you liked it, please leave a comment (constructive criticism welcome, normal criticism NOT WELCOME :L) Thanks for reading guys!

Love BlackmailBLU xx