Chapter 2 - New Friendship?

Start from the beginning

"Skylar!" My mom suddenly rushes in. "You're not even dressed yet! What are you doing?! You have ten minutes before we have to leave!"

Her loud voice makes my aching head pound, and I quickly rush up the stairs to get to the silence of my room. Once there, I get out a black Sword Art Online T-shirt, blue jeans, silver converse with blue laces, and a BTS baseball cap. I change quickly in my closet before rushing downstairs, throwing teal cactus patterned backpack on as I run.

"Ready to go?" My mom asks, swinging her car keys around her finger. I'm sixteen, but don't have my driver's licence yet, so my mom still has to drive me around when I don't walk.

I nod. "Bye, Mark!" I call as I walk outside. He waves as I shut the door behind me. It's a nice, warm day, and I'm glad I decided not to wear my sweatshirt.

"Alright, let's go," says my mom, getting into the driver's seat of her blue Corolla. I hop in beside her, and we back up down the cement drive before turning left and driving down Creekside Avenue towards my school. It's not far, so I would normally walk, but since I was running late driving was more appropriate. A few minutes later, I hop out of the car, saying a quick goodbye to my mom as I rush to my bio class.

I burst through the door and sit down next to my best friend Madison Wood just as the bell rings. My teacher, Mr. Raites, raises an eyebrow at me, but he can't technically mark me late now that I'm in my seat.

"What took you so long?" Madison whispers to me. Her blonde hair is wet from swim practice, falling in loose strands around her face.

"Got held up at home," I whisper back, careful not to let our teacher overhear. The class itself isn't too bad, but Mr. Raites is extremely strict. Talking out of context is one of the best ways to earn yourself an after school detention, which is not what you want when you have softball practice directly after school.

Madison nods, taking out her blue notebook. I take out my green one, as well as a black mechanical pencil and my iPad. I keep it closed, as per instructions, but I know I'm going to need it for something soon enough. Mr. Raites doesn't object.

He walks to the front of the class, coffee cup in hand. Flicking on his SmartBoard, he doesn't even say a word, going straight into a PowerPoint about DNA and the different types of RNA. Against my will, I think LALALALALA every time Mr. Raites says DNA. I guess it's a BTS thing. (A/N: This is me in actuality 😂)

After we finish taking our notes, we get a worksheet on our iPads. I take out my earbuds, as does most of the class, and hit the shuffle play button on my Spotify before heading to the worksheet our teacher has sent us. Of course, the song that comes on has to be DNA. Thanks, BTS. It will never leave my mind now. I suppress a laugh as I start my worksheet, copying down the types of RNA from my notes. tRNA, mRNA, rRNA, etcetera, etcetera.

A little bit later, I submit the worksheet, then head over in my notebook to the drawing I am working on. It's a drawing of a dragon, which I want to give to one of the exchange students in my next class. I'm almost done, so I want to get it done before the bell rings... oh. Too late. There it is.

   Madison taps me on the shoulder, and I look at her. Under the desk she silently flips off the bell. (A/N: I know you get this, BellaKitty ;P) I snort, packing my notebook back into my bag. Together, we stand and put our backpacks on, stepping out of the classroom before beginning to talk.

   "Soooo, how's life?" Madison asks.

   "Normal, I guess," I say, shrugging. "Ow," I cringe. Shrugging with sore shoulders and a fifteen pound book-bag is not the best idea in the world.