"Then pray tell Director, why are you smiling ?" Loki raised his eyebrow.

Everyone nodded and looked at Nick Fury. There was a glimmer in his eye that everyone noticed. There was anger present within him, yet there was a smirk on his lips.

"I have a new... potential asset." Fury began.

"For a while now I've had my eye on someone. S.H.I.E.L.D has kept their distance but we've been watching and monitoring as much as we can."

"As much as you can ?" Steve questioned.

"This is the thing...Even though S.H.I.E.L.D's technology and members are incredible in every field, this individual is unique. They'll only yet us know and see as much as they want us to know and see. They're remarkable. That's the reason why they caught my eye."

The atmosphere was abnormal after this information had been disclosed to them.

"So why do you need our opinion Nick ?" Tony asked flippantly, folding his arms over his chest and narrowing his gaze.

"There was an idea, to bring together a group of remarkable people, to see if they could become something more. So when we needed them, they could fight the battles that we never could... this group of remarkable people is you, as you are all aware."

"- but even with you, it may not be enough. The battles are getting harder... you're in need of a new team member."

Fury saw the disturbance on the avengers' faces as he'd said this. Everyone exchanged sideways glances and muttered under their breath. Just like children whose friends were about to be separated from them, they all became defensive and agitated.

"Now I know you may be sceptical..." Fury began, before he was interrupted by Steve.

It seemed as if every time Fury had opened his mouth, Steve had become angrier. The mention of hydra had him all riled up, and the idea of bringing an unknown member onto the team could be the thing to tear everyone apart.

"Isn't that a really stupid idea ?" He interjected. "- What if this 'asset' is working for Hydra ?"

"Calm it Capsicle. I'm sure Nick would be aware if this 'individual' he's considering to be an avenger is a Hydra agent."

"All I'm saying is this has happened in the past. If S.H.I.E.L.D didn't notice before, they might not notice now." Steve retorted.

"Captain sass throwing some major shade over there." Sam laughed, earning annoyed glances from Fury, Tony, Steve and Rhody.

"Just let Director Fury continue." Rhody said. "-I'm sure you can trust him Steve."

Steve rolled his eyes, sticking to his idea that the new team member was bad news.
This whole scene made Loki laugh. He opened his mouth to say something but was stopped by Thor.

"Brother. Don't." He growled.

"- All I was going to say is that we can't even remain united for 10 minutes. How would we deal with someone else being added to this madness ?" Loki stated.

"We could start by kicking you out." Clint smiled.

"Ooh, that's cold."

"Can we not just act like responsible adults for five minutes ? Let Nick continue." Tony ranted.

"You're telling us to act responsible?" Steve glared, raising his eyebrow at Tony.

Everyone felt like they had something to contribute to the argument that was slowly escalating out of control. The conference had broken up into a heated discussion and everyone now ignored Fury and bickered about the matter between themselves.

Fury arched his visible brow and pressed a few more buttons, making a dark and blurry hologram image appear before them. No one had noticed the amateur-looking photo that was floating next to Fury and it was him who had to wrestle for their attention.

"My asset is stronger and more powerful than Steve and Thor. Their skill set is larger than Natasha's and their IQ is higher than Stark's."

That made everyone shut up.

"They're ruthless, cunning, manipulative and one hell of a fighter. They're agile and fast. They're smart, and they've outsmarted S.H.I.E.L.D countless times...Earths mightiest heroes ? Bitch please! You're all acting like children, not avengers. Now will you mother-fuckers shut up and give this proposition a chance ?!"

Everyone fixed their gaze on the hologram, gaping as they witnessed the photograph change into a snippet of a fight between Fury's 'asset' and at least 30 different men.

"That technique and pattern isn't Hydra." Bucky stated, his eyes not leaving the 27 second footage that replayed over and over.

"No. It's better." Fury stated.

He stopped the footage and placed his hands on the table, leaning forward slightly and looking at everyone.

"Now... I don't know about you, but I wouldn't mind having someone like that on my team."

Steve furrowed his brows as he thought about what Fury was saying. His hands were balled into fists and he rested his head on them. He slightly pursed his lips and replayed the footage in his head. Fury took note of the Captain's expression and pulled out a thin, worn file. He slid it across the table and everyone followed it with their gaze as it moved and stopped in front of Steve.

Steve glanced at fury then looked back at the file. He flicked through the pages, reading the little information that had been displayed in front of him. There were reports, dates and times, and a few more amateur photos. There really wasn't much to look at, but what was there was interesting.

"Like I said, they only let us know as much as they want us to." Fury spoke. "- But you need to believe me when I say that this will be the best thing for all of us."

"Who are they ?" Steve asked.

"... She's (F/N) (L/N)."