Chapter 7: Similarities

Începe de la început

A moment of silence passed, before Aiden said, "Uhh... remind me not to mess with you anymore."

At that comment, Jesse glanced back at Aiden. The bully's face had turned oddly pale at the scene he'd just witnessed, and he looked a little nervous now that he looked at Jesse.

The black-haired girl sighed a little, trying to wrangle her temper back into check. "Yeah. I'll be sure to do that."

Reuben let out a little snort, giving Jesse a glare as he looked up at her. Jesse looked down at her pig, her temper cooling off dramatically as relief filled the places where anger had been. "I'm sorry, Reuben," she apologized to the little pink pig, "I should never have let you run off in the woods like that."

Reuben snorted again, but this time it seemed much more mild than before. Jesse looked up-- just in time to spot what looked like Evie from the back, walking into the crowd. 

Aiden had spotted her too. "Hey, isn't that...?" With that, he sped up, Jesse now being the one to have to chase after the guy-- the benefit of having long legs-- walking into the crowd faster. There was a momentary knot of people, where Jesse had to struggle to get past the crowd without shoving them aside-- and when the three of them finally managed to get out of that section of crowd, Evie was nowhere to be seen again.

"Darn," Aiden muttered.

Jesse, scanning the crowd, saw Olivia standing and scrutinizing what seemed to be a chicken machine herself (really-- what was the thing with her friends and chickens? Pigs were WAY better), and moved towards her. Upon spotting that Jesse was starting to move again, Aiden followed her quickly.

Walking up to Olivia, she tapped the girl on the shoulder, making Olivia immediately turn to look at her. 

"You know that thing Evie and I had to do with Petra earlier?" Jesse asked, allowing Olivia to nod before continuing, "Long story short, we met up with this guy, he cheated me and Petra out of a deal, Evie ran off after him, and now, we're trying to track them down. You in?"

"Oh, I'm in, alright," and Olivia turned to face Jesse with a grin... before it collapsed into a frown. "Uh, by the way, you... are aware that Aiden's behind  you, right?"

Jesse resisted the urge to check behind her. "Uh-- yeah. He's helping me look for Evie too."

Olivia's eyebrow shot up at that as she processed that. "Huh... kay, then." Her gaze shifted over so she was staring right at Aiden, whose expression was a little annoyed. "I guess that works."

A moment later, Petra and Axel ran up to them, thankfully making the awkward moment a little less awkward. "Any sign of them?"

"I thought I saw Ivor earlier," Jesse said, shaking her head and glancing around in case he might be nearby, "but it was just a false alarm wait there he is!" she blurted, eyes widening.

Indeed, Ivor was turning to look over his shoulder and panting slightly, before he turned back around and ran towards the keynote. "It looks like he's headed towards the Hall!"

A moment later, Evie's whereabouts were also cleared up-- the girl emerged from a large bush and brushed some leaves out of her hair, before moving to hurry after Ivor as well.

"Hey, Evie!" Jesse shouted after her, but the girl was already out of earshot. "Darn... we've gotta follow them," she said, turning to face the others again.

Petra's brow furrowed as her gaze shifted down to something else. "Well, we're going to have to get past that usher to do it," she said, lifting her arm to point at said usher. Actually, it seemed to be the same guy that had been telling people to step aside earlier.