Chapter Two [Edited]

"Good morning, princess. Happy birthday." I said while waking her up.

"Mommy?" She asked as she rubbed her eyes "Thank you." She hugged me as I hugged her back.

"What does my baby want to do today?" I asked her sweetly.

"Actually... I want a daddy." She replied softly "The kids at the playground laughed at me because I don't have a daddy. They called me an illegitimate child."

My heart ached. I never knew a four-year-old can go through these kinds of problems. Kids these days are just too mean and how in the world do they know the word illegitimate? Do they even know what it means?

"Sorry, sweetie. I can't give you that." I said and she frowned.

I could see that she really wanted a father. I can take the stars and moon just for Pearl but I can't find her a father unless I drop her off at the orphanage and hope that some couple would adopt her. But I would never do that.

Bzzt~ I unlocked my phone and saw a message from Mr. Yi.

I hope you haven't forgotten about my offer yesterday.

Yesterday? Ah! Lunch! Pearl should meet Mr. Yi, the person who opened her orphanage. Even though she only lived there for a while, she still needs to meet the person who had done a huge impact on her life. If he never opened the orphanage, she might not be here with me today.

"Sweetie, go have a shower. We're going out later." I said softly with a smile. She immediately headed towards the shower.

"Hey, sis. Do you wanna go out with me and my boss?" I asked.

"He finally asked you out." My sister, Liying, said, with her hands clasped as she looked up with that faraway look.

"What do you mean by finally. Geez." I sighed.

"Duh, it's obvious that he likes you, and now he wants to meet Pearl. And not long after that, he will ask you to be his girlfriend, and then he proposes. That is just romantic" she said while planning everything like it's her job to squeeze herself into my life "unlike that jerk, who just married me because I'm a doctor." She added and stuck the knife, she was using onto the table while glaring at the table.

"Are you coming or not?" I rolled my eyes.

"Nope, you have fun. I'm taking An An to see mom and dad today." She said. An An or Chang An is her one-year-old son.

I unlocked my phone and texted him back.

I didn't, and my sister won't be coming with us.

He replied within a minute.

Okay. I'll pick you and Pearl up in about 10 minutes.

The corners of my lip went up to form a smile unknowingly.

"If I were you, I'd take a bath if he's picking me up in 10 minutes," Liying said while peeking over my phone.

I locked my phone immediately and ran off to the bathroom to take a shower.

~~~

"Mommy, where are we going? " Pearl asked when she saw me getting dressed.

I never really put much effort into what I wear, but today I put a little bit of makeup on. Maybe that's why she's asking.

"We're having breakfast with mommy's boss. Be a good girl today, okay? " I smiled.

She nodded happily and started to pack her things. She loves bringing her pink backpack and her little-stuffed bee toy. The bee has been with her since I adopted her. I believe that's what her parents left her. She also has a bee pendant necklace on her neck when I adopted her.

"Lingling, your boss is here!" I heard Liying yelling.

I quickly took my bag and rushed to Pearl's room.

"Are you done, sweetie?"

"Yup! "

We walked to the door together. Mr. Yi smiled and took my bag for me. I waved to Liying only to receive a smirk from her. Wow, nice sister.

Mr. Yi leads us to his car. I climbed into the back so I could sit with Pearl.

"Um Ms. Xu, if you don't mind, can you sit in the front with me? I borrowed my cousin's baby chair so Pearl could sit there." He pointed at the baby chair that was in the back seat.

"Oh, okay." I buckled Pearl into her seat and went to the front.

"Mommy! Where are we going? " Pearl asked.

Her voice was filled with excitement. It was a good sign. It's been ages since I last heard her that excited.

Before I could reply to her, Mr. Yi replied for me.

"It's a surprise Pearl, your mommy and I have planned this day together."

"Oh okay. But who are you? Are you gonna be my daddy? " she asked.

"Uh no Pearl, he is mom-"

"Yes, I am going to be."