The Girl Who Lived...Through Draco Malfoy - Chapter 36

Start from the beginning

Delia, Draco and I ran down the stairs, dodging pieces of falling debris and students as they ran for cover. Delia blocked a curse from a Death Eater flying through the air then sent him flying through a window.

Everywhere I turned it was chaos. Explosions, people dying and giant spiders running amok. We ran to the front courtyard of the school which looked more like a pile of rubble. Giants swung giant weapons at the people running around their feet, making them fly in every direction.

A flash of green nearly blinded me. I turned to Draco who cast a stunning spell back. Back and forth spells were being cast, flashes of green and red filling the night air.

Suddenly all of my thoughts vanished, replaced by the hissing voice of Voldemort saying, "You have all fought valiantly. To all my forces, I command you to retreat. To the Potter siblings, I now speak to you. You have one hour to meet me in the Forbidden Forest or I will kill every man, woman, and child that defends you." 

The voice disappeared and everyone looked around, their faces confused. The Death Eaters did as they were told, taking their monsters with them and we were left with the scattered bodies of the dead and piles of rubble that was Hogwarts.

We helped carry the injured and dead into the Great Hall, getting the first good look at the damage. The Weasley family was knelt down beside the body of Fred, Mrs. Weasley's face buried in his shirt. I turned away, looking up at Draco.

"You're not going," he said, grabbing my hand. I shook my head, not wanting to argue. It didn't matter what he said, I knew what I had to do.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione walked in, their faces pale as they took in the scene. Ron ran past us, joining his family by Fred's body. Hermione joined him and Harry walked up to us. Draco squeezed my hand then walked away, giving us privacy.

"You guys aren't really going to go, are you?" Delia asked, looking from Harry to I.

"We have to," I replied and Harry nodded.

"There's no way-" Delia began, but I cut him off.

"Delia, you know there's nothing you can say that will change what has to happen," I said, tears starting to form in her eyes. I hugged her tightly then left quickly with Harry.

We walked in silence until we reached the edge of the forest.

"Are you afraid?" I asked as we crossed the barrier of trees.

"No. I was always meant to die," he replied, pulling something out of his pocket.

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused.

"I'm the Horcrux Voldemort never meant to make. To kill Voldemort, I have to die," he said, sounding at peace. He held up the snitch Dumbledore had left him, reading the inscription out loud. "I open at the close. I'm ready to die."

The snitch opened, a small stone hidden inside. Harry grabbed it and four figures formed from a white mist.

"Mom, Dad?" I looked at them, their faces smiling back at me.

"It's so good to see you Quendie," my mom said. I looked at the other two, not able to recognize them, but sure who they were. Lily and James Potter, my biological parents.

"Don't be scared you two," Lily said.

"You'll stay with us?" Harry asked.

"The whole time," James replied.

"Does it hurt?" I asked.

"Like falling asleep," my mom assured. Harry and I looked at each other and he dropped the stone. The figure disappeared, but I could still feel them with us.