First and Last

My heart was beating like crazy. They did it. They won. He won.

I was watching him, only him, from the start up to finish. Even if I tried I just couldn't  take my eyes off of him. And I didn't want to.

I watched him fight. Fight for victory. For success. I watched him fight for his seniors, for their better exit. I watched him fight for himself, trying to exceed everyone's expectations. I watched him fall, get hurt, even bleed. But I also watched him stand, dust off his shoulders, and try again.

I was really glad I came here and watched him play. I wasn't really supposed to watch it because like Kuya Kiefer, i believed I'm "malas".

But then destiny played its game. The night before the championship, he called.

"Isabel?" He said, sounding unsure over the phone.

"Thirds? What's up? Why you calling?" I asked, full of curiosity.

"Uhm.. I just wanted to ask kung.. kung manonood ka ng game bukas?" He hesitantly asked.

"Oh.. I think not." I sighed. "You know I'm malas."

"Isabel, you're not malas. Siguro nagkataon lang na natalo kami when you watched." He said, trying to console me, I think.

"But still, I think It'd be better for me to stay at home na lang." I said. "But I'll still watch you. Hindi nga lang live." I added.

"Bea please," he started. Oh. So now I'm Bea again. "Please watch. Ng live."

I frowned and said, "You're so kulit, Thirds. No nga."

"Bea naman. Please. I really just.. want you to watch." He pleaded.

I'm confused. "Why would you want me to watch?"

"I.." he took a deep breath. "I feel better when I see you, you know that? Na kahit natalo kami non, hindi ako pinanghinaan ng loob. Na everytime na mawawalan ako ng pag-asa, I'd just search for you in the crowd and suddenly hope will just come pouring back in." He stopped. "You think you're malas? No. You're my lucky charm, Isabel. And I need my lucky charm tomorrow. I need you."

Oh my gosh. I went silent for a moment because I wasn't really expecting this from him. I mean, IS THIS FOR REAL?!

"Isabel? You still there?" He asked, starting to sound scared. Haha. He probably thinks I hung up na.

"Yeah.. yeah." I was speechless, still trying to find words to say.

"Okay. I'll watch." I think I heard him smile. "But I don't have a ticket." That's the problem.

But Thirdy just chuckled and said, "I have one. Specially for you."

"Wow. Handa ah." I said, smiling widely. Yeah! I'm gonna watch tomorrow! I'm gonna watch tomorrow!!

"Of course. I had a hunch na pipilitin kita manood eh." He said. We hung up after that.

After the buzzer went off, I froze. Like literally. Holy cheese! They did it! They won!
My eyes followed Thirdy, not even noticing Andrei's buzzer beater 3.

Thirds went straight to his parents. He was crying. Pure tears of joy. He went to his teammates, his coaches. Hugging everyone he sees.

Then, awarding came. And he was the Finals MVP. My MVP. I was really really happy for him that I could hug him.

Involuntarily, my feet went to him. I just realized that when I was a few meters away from him. I was about to turn around and curse myself when his eyes found mine. And he moved. Shoving everyone in his path, just to get to me.

And I, being pakipot and all, decided to tease him. I made him chase after me, but then hug him nonetheless. It was a brief, spur-of-the-moment hug. We didn't get to talk because his teammates are calling him.

So I went to the others and congratulated them. Hugging everyone. Jumping up and down screaming with Dani and Kat.

And as the hype slowed down a bit, when everyone else was calm, I found myself going to Thirdy once again. I had congratulated everybody else, except him.

I found him talking to some fans, and approached him.

"Thirds.." I started. He looked at me and smiled his million-dollar smile. He stretched his one hand, the other one held by a fan, and took me in on a warm and tight embrace.

"I did it, Isabel. I won. I'm.. I'm even the Finals MVP." He said, while burying his face on my neck and hugging me even tighter.

"Yes you did. Congrats Thirds! You won. I'm so, so proud of you." I replied, relishing his warmth.

As much as I'd like to spend all evening locked in his embrace, I had to let go. People around us are starting to get noisy. And I even saw flashes of cameras, no doubt capturing our moment.

The moment I let go of the embrace, Thirdy, his hand still on my back, said, "Thanks, Isabel. Thanks for being my lucky charm."

I just smiled at him and patted his back.

They broke the Araneta curse, they won the Championship, and Thirdy is the Finals MVP. All in season 80.

What a season, indeed it is.

-------------------------------------------

I just had to write this because my BeaRdy heart is bursting right now!!

Grabe sobrang kilig na kilig ako habang paulit-ulit kong pinapanood yung vid ng hug nila.

Oh and congrats Blue Eagles for winning the Championship!! It was indeed a One hell of a Big Fight! 💙💙💙

Hoping you liked my story (kng may magbabasa man),
Rylai