The Forest Nymph

• Dedicated to Amber Quinn

William Elliott glanced out his window, impatient for his friends to come for him. They'd been planning this trip for several weeks now: a night away from family and responsibility, a camping trip into the small woodland just north of their neighborhood. He had his stuff packed tightly into a backpack beside him. He would miss his Tumblr blog these next two days, but he'd already apologized to his laptop profusely about leaving it behind, and his guilt was diminished by his excitement.

It had been Clark's mom's idea at first, telling them off for playing League of Legends all day, saying that what the boys really needed was 'more fresh air and less mind-numbing video games'. They'd snickered at her behind her back and continued their game, but John later tried to get his friends to consider it.

"Come on," he had said, "maybe we should try it. I mean, it could be fun."

Slowly, bit by bit, the others had agreed. Their parents were delighted and each boy's mother eagerly bought her son anything her husband couldn't dig out of the garage with a hearty, 'when I was your age...'

Finally, the weekend set for the trip had arrived. Clark, Evan, and Will were going to meet John and Terrence at their house, where the twins' dad would drive them out to the designated spot in the woods where they'd spend some time under the stars, 'away from those infernal computers!', as Evan's grandpa had put it.

A red Hyundai pulled into the Elliott's driveway and honked briefly. Grinning, Will slung his bag over his shoulder.

"Bye mom!" he said, as he hurried out the door, closing it behind him. This was going to be fun.