Chapter 2

Katniss' POV

It's only been a few weeks but I missed her, I'd cared for her since she was only a few days old, to hug her was like returning a piece of my heart. "I missed you," I say into her ear while she still holding on to me. "I missed you too," she says back to me. I know she means it. If I had to let her go I don't think I would cope.

"Who's this?" I ask, pointing to the girl she brought with her. "This is Rue," she replies. Rue waves shyly and says "Hi." I wave back and she giggles softly. She reminds me of a bird, a mockingjay. The kind that sing with voices like silk. The kind that survived despite the capitols plans. Anyway, back to Prim. She got a scholarship to come here, the same as I did. She's so clever now, I know she's going to become a doctor, not a healer in district 12. The Capitol have better training and pay for their doctors and that's what Prim deserves.

Rue whispers something to Prim, then they both giggle. I wish I was their age again, me and Gale running through the woods, not a care in the world. That was when Dad had just finished teaching me to use a bow. Me and Gale would play at hunters for hours. Before we both had to grow up in fast motion and actually look after our families. Prim was only tiny then, she was so helpless, so oblivious to her surroundings.

I remember when I first saw her, I held her and she felt so delicate in my arms that I thought I was going to break her. I didn't realise then that I would be the main parent figure in her life. I thought we would be a perfect little family. We weren't. After Dad - went. Mum shut everything and everyone out. She wouldn't leave her room. I had to cook, clean, send Prim to school, then cook, clean and make sure Prim had a bath and went to bed on time. Only then did I have time to myself.