XXI. Jumping in the Trashcan

Start from the beginning

Thunder seems to strike in the background, even on such a sunny day. I gulp, lowering myself while Serena turns towards me and looks down. She snorts lightly. "Vaughn? Never heard of your family," her tone seems to be all strong and mighty. She places her hand under her chin. "What does your family do?"

"My mom is a detective, and dad is a businessman," I reply, clutching onto my stomach, mentally scolding myself for skipping breakfast. I was too anxious about school and forgot to eat.

Serena's eyes scan my body. "Nice necklace," she smiles, and I automatically reach for my necklace. She leans inward. "I've never seen anything like that before in stores."

I smile proudly. "It's one of a kind."

Taniyah snorted without looking away from the papers.

I frown.

Did I say something wrong?

Serena tucks her hair back, revealing a pair of diamond earrings. "Don't bother with her. The lower class is raised differently," she waves off Taniyah.

Taniyah rolls her eyes.

Before I can ask what's going on, a person walks in. I take a few blinks as he prances in with dirty brown hair and a cleanse black suit complimented by leather shoes. With a suitcase in one hand and his jacket in the other, it seems as if the whole world was under his command.

"Hello, students," he said, and I almost choked.

He is a teacher?

Is he even legal?

"Good morning Mr.Timberland," everyone said at the same time.

He smiles, eyes scanning the room, then it lands on me. My hands cup tighter as he walks closer. "You must be Hailey Vaughn, I presume."

I nod. "I'm sorry for not attending class yesterday," I apologize before he can accuse me of anything.

He shakes his head. "Don't worry; you're not in trouble, Miss Vaughn. Welcome to my class," he places several papers in front of me. "If you have any questions, please feel free to ask," he said before walking back to the front of the class.

Serena sighs. "Handsome and kind. Gosh, his wife is so lucky," she mumbles under her breath, and I thought I heard Taniyah chuckling.

Mr.Timberland started lecturing, and I bent down, rigorously taking notes. Quickly scanning the classroom, I realize that a few students were sleeping or merely staring at the board.

Taniyah sat there, clicking on the laptop set in front of her.

I took a few blinks as Mr.Timberland continued lecturing. "Now, we will discuss employment law scenarios, including discrimination, harassment, and job termination."

I continue blinking, feeling a pulse rising inside my temple. So far, it doesn't sound bad.

He clears his throat. "PK Corps is a consultancy based in the South of New England but operating both nationally and internationally. Some years ago, it adopted non-contractual grievance, disciplinary, and dismissal procedures based on its statutory model. It claimed to be an equal opportunity employer. It upheld a harassment policy, which lists examples of behavior that could amount to harassment and details the activities taken against employees. Some issues are causing concern."

I see stars.

"The first case - Adam has worked for the firm for nine and a half years and is now forty-five. He doesn't get on with the new Managing Director and has been dismissed with due notice. When he asked why he was being dismissed, in a meeting between the two of them, the MD told him - it's because you're a Catholic and I'm now in charge - and if you tell anybody, I said that I'd deny it and you won't be able to prove it. The firm provides mobile devices and recording apps to a number of its staff for use in the business, and Adam had covertly recorded the meeting."