Chapter 5: Lots of Being Sneaky

Comincia dall'inizio

Evie immediately, without another word, took off after Ivor. That probably was going to alarm the two of them, especially since they didn't know her, but right now, catching Ivor was more important than explaining that she was trying to catch Ivor.

Which was a commendable thought, but as she came skidding out of the other end of the alley-- the one Ivor had approached through-- Evie's foot caught on a particularly slick cobblestone and knocked her completely off-balance. She instinctively threw her arms out to catch herself, but being the clumsy person she was and forgetting that fact, the motion just knocked her even more off-balance and sent her toppling to the ground.

Ouch.

Evie managed to get back to her feet a moment later, wincing breathlessly as she felt the spot where her shoulder had slammed against cobblestone twinge with pain. That was definitely going to leave a bruise. At least she hadn't knocked her head against anything.

Although she'd lost track of Ivor. Damn.

"Honestly, Camry--"

Evie's head automatically snapped up at the name and the familiar voice. Yep-- that was Max, alright. With Christina and Camry at his side. Camry's long, dark brown hair was tied up in a messy ponytail as usual, and Max's usual, spiky hairstyle was blaringly obvious.

Immediately, Evie disappeared into the crowd, darting around people and trying to avoid crashing into them, tripping, or doing something else that might draw attention and therefore get their attention.

Call her a coward, but she did not want to deal with those three. Not right now, at least. Not while she was trying to track Ivor back down.

She spotted Lukas standing near a booth, in fact leaning against it, and debated hiding behind him or trying to engage in a conversation with him, before deciding that the three of them were too close-- Christina's voice carried clearly across even the din of the convention-- and turning a corner in the winding paths of the convention, ignoring the fact that she was fairly certain that she spotted Axel-- before spotting a particularly crowded area of the convention and squeezing through two people into it.

And then promptly running into someone. Great. Very elegant.

"Hey, what are you--?"

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean--"

Evie paused in surprise as she looked up to see a pair of celery green eyes glance down to meet hers. Oh, great. Another bully to worry about.

"--seriously, Christina, get over it--"

"She's such a little busybody--" The actual term was much ruder, but Evie's ears may have censored it out. "-- with the nerve to say we're not good friends? She's lucky we let her hang out with us!"

Aiden glanced over his shoulder to see who was talking, before back at Evie, who now was searching for a spot to hide, just in case they did spot her. "Are you hiding from them?" he asked quietly, jerking a thumb over his shoulder at her ex-teammates, who were walking through the crowd and shoving through with reckless abandon.

Evie remained silent for a minute, before realizing there wasn't much of a point to doing so-- it wasn't like they were on her team anymore. And if Aiden called her out, it might waste time, but having them yell her down now might end up being quicker in the long run. "Attempting to, yes."

Aiden chewed his lip, thoughtfully. Evie squeezed her eyes shut a little bit, bracing herself for him to call out and attract her ex-teammate's attention.

"... alright, c'mere."

"... ah?" Right. Yes. Very eloquent, Evie. Despite her reluctance to have a confrontation with her ex-teammates, she opened her eyes to see that Aiden was hastily beckoning her towards him.