Secrets Secrets Are No Fun

(Hope POV)

We were back in the bunker, silently eating breakfast. Sam was still trying to figure out what Bobby and Dean were hiding from us. He stared at Dean, trying to get anything out of him, but Dean stares at his cereal, taking slow bites.

"Dean." Sam finally speaks up.

Dean glances up at him, already knowing what Sam wants, but decides to ask anyways. "What?"

"Find anything?" Sam asks, never breaking eye contact with his brother.

"Huh?" Dean tries to act dumb but Sam's not up for it.

"How about Bobby?"

Dean doesn't answer, looking back down at his cereal. "Dean." I finally say something because I'm dying to know what's happening, just as much as Sam is.

"WHAT?" He looks up again, looking between the two of us.

"Why are you keeping secrets? And with Bobby, but I don't get to know?" Sam speaks, clenching his fist that was lying on the table, and slightly squeezing my knee under the table.

Dean stares at us, his lips pressed tightly together. "That's funny. Last time I checked, you two were keeping from me."

Sam squeezes my leg tighter and we both look down, not knowing how to respond. I knew we should have told him about Sam and I's relationship the minute we got back...

I finally manage to make contact with Dean. "How did you..."

"It isn't that hard to figure out, Hope." Dean responds. He then looks down, letting out a tiny chuckle. "You could also at least try to keep it down at night."

I see Sam's face go completely red out of the corner of my eye. I burst out laughing, not being able to help it. Dean laughs too and Sam smiles, shaking his head. "I'm sorry, Dean." I say, out of breath from laughing, still grinning. "That's gotta suck."

Dean shakes his head again, stifling a laugh. "Shut up."

I shake my head at him, looking at Sam who tries to act serious again to ask Dean. "Okay, that's our secret. What's yours?"

Dean looks down again, shaking his head. "We were just helping Refus, that's it."

"Bull crap." Sam growls. "That's not why you left to Bobby's without saying anything."

Dean shakes his head again, looking away. "I can't tell you..." He mumbles.

"What?" Sam asks, raising his eyebrows.

"I can't tell ya, Sammy." Dean repeats, bringing himself to look Sam in the eye to show him he's serious.

"What? Why?" Sam asks gently.

"Because I have to protect you." He mumbles before looking over at me. "You too, Hope."

I shake my head, leaning forward. "I'm sorry, protect us? Protect us from what?"

Deah shakes his head for the thousandth time, breaking eye contact. "What could be so bad you can't tell us? Knowing our lives, you can't really protect us from anything, Dean." Sam tries to knock some sense into his brother.

"From this, I can. Or so I can try." Dean then stands up, continuing to look anywhere but Sam and I, collecting his dirty bowl and spoon

"Dean, we're not kids." I state, standing up too, putting both hands on the table. "Just tell us what's happening and maybe we could help you."

"No." The answer is way too soon and way too fast. Dean looks me in the eye, with what looks like fear and sadness on his face. "No... It's better if you don't know."