Chapter Fifteen - 'After five years.'

Start from the beginning

Mrs Weasley was shocked at seeing Hermione whom she hadn’t even had one owl from for a few years now. Despite that, she wrapped her arms around Hermione and embraced her in a motherly hug, stroking her hair. Her hand paused as she came eye to eye with Rose. It was obvious from the curls Rose adorned on her head that she was Hermione’s daughter.

‘Mummy,’ Rose murmured, tugging on the nightie and feeling uncomfortable standing there while her mother hugged a seemingly random woman.

‘Hermione, dear,’ Mrs Weasley pulled back to see tears trailing their way down Hermione’s face, ‘come in, come in! You must be freezing!’

Hermione didn’t argue or give any indication of how cold she was, even though she was freezing although that seemed a very small comparison to Draco being locked up. She followed Mrs Weasley in after soothing Rose and picking her up, feeling her cheek nuzzle against her shoulder as she looked around the very familiar Burrow. Mrs Weasley stopped once they were inside where it was warm and turned to Hermione, glancing briefly at Rose.

‘Arthur and Ron are here,’ Mrs Weasley stated, ‘but I guess you’d like to freshen up first... and get some clothes?’

Hermione nodded and croaked, ‘thank you.’

Mrs Weasley gave her a warm smile and headed up the stairs as Hermione followed. The stairs creaked as they walked up, making Rose cling tighter to Hermione. Hermione rubbed her back, following Mrs Weasley into a room that she recognised as Ginny’s. Mrs Weasley offered her some jeans and a top which Hermione took thankfully.

‘I don’t have any clothes for...’ Mrs Weasley gestured to Rose pointedly.

‘Rose,’ Hermione said, quietly, ‘and that’s okay. Thank you for this.’

Mrs Weasley shook her head, ‘I’ll be downstairs making you something to eat. Feel free to take a shower if you want.’

Mrs Weasley rubbed her shoulder kindly before leaving the room. Hermione watched her go and then stood in the silent room, thinking she couldn’t stop thanking Mrs Weasley for how hospitable she was being even though she hadn’t seen her for five years or sent her an owl. She felt a little bad about it but her mind suddenly went to Draco, thinking about him sitting alone in the cell.

‘Mummy!’ Rose wrapped her arms around her neck in a death grip, ‘I want to go home! I want Dway-co!’

Hermione nodded, ‘Rose, you need to be a good girl for me right now, okay? I need your help.’

Rose pulled back to look at her with wide eyes and nodded furiously, ‘will I get sweeties?’

Hermione let out a strained but genuine chuckle at her daughter’s serious look about sweets. Rose frowned briefly, wondering why she was laughing. Hermione tapped her nose, ‘yes, you will. Now if I give you something to do while I take a very quick shower, will you stay right here?’

‘Yes, Mummy,’ Rose sighed after a while of consideration and pouted slightly as Hermione sat her down on Ginny’s old bed while getting some parchment from the drawer and a pencil rather than a quill. She put the resources in front of Rose.

‘Why don’t you draw a pretty picture for Draco?’

‘Okay,’ Rose looked excited at the prospect as she picked up the pencil and started to draw, her tongue poking out the side of her mouth.

Hermione grabbed the clothes and a towel from the cupboard before opening the door. She glanced back at Rose before crossing the small and narrow landing, entering the bathroom and closing the door behind her. She started to strip out of the nightie, thankful that she had her own underwear. Hermione had her wand still tight in her hand and muttered a spell to keep her underwear clean for another day since that was the only thing she could do.