001 CONCERN

Mina looked up and saw herself, only speckled with a few dots of residue, courtesy of dirt and time. she squinted at the mirror, and the mirror squinted back.

she sank back into a low pilé, her thin hand moving back in a sweep. as her eyes followed the motion of her arm, she caught eye of her old worn ballet slippers. dull pink, scattered with a bit of dirt and blood from the one time she cut her leg on the floor.

mina needed to finish this run of the routine, just once more. then she could take a break, maybe go home.

or perhaps two more times, it wouldn't hurt anyone.

the dancer got into the position to complete a grand jeté, and-

"you're still here?"

mina looked up suddenly and dropped her arms. she rose back up and looked into the face of whoever interrupted her.

jihyo park.

the only person in the whole ballet company that seemed to have some sort of self-awareness or an independent mind. an advertiser for the prestigious ballet company.

sweet, sweet, jihyo. too sweet for her own good.

if mina had to compare her to an inanimate object, it'd be crystals of sugar.

jihyo smiled at mina, a sugary smile. "why are you still here, mina? practice ended at seven."

mina then takes it upon herself to finally look at the immaculate white clock residing high on the wall in front of her.

the clock read 10:46, maybe 10:47.

mina cleared her throat, then looked at jihyo. in a small voice containing an awkward japanese accent, "i needed to run the routine through."

jihyo furrowed her dark eyebrows. "for three and a half hours?"

mina slowly nodded.

the other girl sighed, and looked at mina for a while. they held gazes for a minute or two, then jihyo spoke up.

"well, i was working late, so i have to lock up." she paused. "i'm leaving now." jihyo's head bobbed towards the door.

mina slowly nodded.

the dancer moved to collect her duffel bag. when she moved past the other girl to exit the practice room, they held eye contact again.

jihyo's hand caught mina's arm in a gentle grip. her voice was low, in a desperate whisper.

"careful, sweetheart. you keep practicing the way you do, and you'll end up with painful blisters."

mina looked into jihyo's face, which was held in an expression of concern. she again nodded wordlessly, removed herself from the korean's grip.

the ballerina exited the studio, the small bell above the door twinkling in a melancholy farewell.