Kingpin and The Blob

It was dark, and I was running. Murky sewage water splashed my ankles as I sped through the tunnels, winding down passageways, and cutting through corners. My heart was pulsating like crazy, my veins were threatening to burst. My neck was throbbing and my breaths started to come out shakily, but I pressed on nonetheless, pushing my body to its limits, forcing myself to just keep on running. Run faster, or die trying, that was my mantra as I barreled through the narrow openings.

I could hear my perpetrators behind me, their breaths just as ragged as mine. They didn't bother to shout incriminating, threatening words at me like the goons in the movies usually do, we were all silent, and focused on running faster; me to escape them, and them to capture me. I knew they would never succeed though, just as long as I kept on running. Their footsteps were heavier, their bodies less coordinated. I was lean and agile, and even though I was nowhere near as fast as Barry Allen, I was still able to hold my own against most supers.

A cool drop of sewage water fell from the ceiling on my forehead, mixing in with the layer of perspiration that was already there. I glanced up and saw glimpses of light through the overhead cracks and smiled to myself. I was almost out of the sewers, once I got to the surface, there was no way they could catch me again.

Leaning my body forward, to increase the distance between us, I bent around the corner and shot out of the darkness. The sewage system was set up in a way that the super-workers were able to get in and out effortlessly. The opening was right in front of the sewage base, on the outskirts of NISe City. Right nearby was the highway in the sky, where the supers who could fly frequented. I smiled to myself as the open field stretched out before me. As I ran, I took a deep breath in, grateful for the change in atmosphere. The damp, stuffy air within the sewers was gone, and now I was exposed to fresh air, and cool breeze from the supers up above. Each time a super sped past, a rush of refreshing air overcame me.

I was running freely now, there were no hindrances to keep me from getting caught. I ran at top speed, away from the two Neanderthals who were chasing me, racing along the dusty ground. I allowed myself a sparing glance, and when I turned, I found much to my pleasure, the two huge ape-like supers who were once hot on my tail were now nowhere to be seen. Slowing down a bit, I smiled, there was no way they could catch me. I had always been too fast for them, too smart, too cunning, too skilled to get caught. I chuckled as I brought myself to a leisurely jog. Domino always did this. I'd go to one of her casinos and bet out an exorbitant amount that we both knew I couldn't repay. I'd lose, and runoff before it was time to collect, they'd sound the alarm, and she'd send two of her monkeys after me. Then I'd escape into the sewers, they'd chase me, I'd get to the exit and BOOM! I was home free.

Supers- they're amazingly talented creatures, but also amazingly stupid. They're known for their routines. I had never met a super who didn't do the same thing every single day, over and over again. Nor had I ever met a super who changed their fighting techniques. They'd been that way for as long as I could remember, sticklers for routines. Don't you think that if Batman changed his fighting techniques, he'd be rid of The Joker by now, or if The Joker took a moment to observe Batman carefully, he'd know exactly what to do to defeat him?

In my opinion, all the supers were fools. I was glad I wasn't in the same category as them. I mean, sure I was a super too, I just wasn't in the same league as everyone else. At least, that's what I was told. My whole life, all the supers around me had been telling me that I wasn't like them. They'd been telling me that I was different, and not made like them. I wasn't considered to be a super superhero. That was reserved for the superheroes who were either born with some fantastical power or who were lucky enough to make a power of their own. Or, in rarer cases, just had enough people like them. Take another look at the bat guy for instance. He had literally zero powers and yet he was still more of a superhero than I was. Why, you ask, simply because he was adored. He was likable. I, on the other hand, was not.