Chapter 1

**Nicki's POV**

"Waitress." A man seated at a table called for me.

"Oh uhhh.. Hi I'm not working yet but I can go get you a waitress if you want." I said walking over to his table.

"No I actually just wanted to talk to you, so.. I'll be here until you start working." He said, I looked at him confused.

"Well, uhh.." I said awkwardly.

"Can you sit?" He asked motioning for me to sit across from him. I sat and played with the pen in my hand.

"What's your name?" He asked staring into my eyes.

"Uhh.. Onika, but most people call me Nicki." I said trying to avoid his eyes.

"I'm Aubrey, but call me Drake." He smiled.

"Hi Drake." I looked up at him, flinching a little at how hard he was staring.

"What happened to your cheek?" He looked concerned as he lightly touched my face, I winced. "Sorry,"

"uhh.. It's nothing." I replied touching my cheek.

"You have bruises on your arms. Can you please tell me what's wrong?" He sounded as if he really cared, but I couldn't tell if he was legit or not.

"No, uhh.. I'm fine. Actually I think I'll start working early." I tightened my ponytail and stood up.

"Wait, Nicki." He grabbed my arm lightly.

"Stop you're hurting me!" I screamed over-exaggerating the pain of him touching the bruises on my arm.

"I'm s-sorry." He said letting me go, I staggered away from him a few steps.

"Look, uhh.. Drake. I don't know what you want but I don't really know you and you're making me uncomfortable."

"I'm sorry, thats not what I meant to do. I actually have been here a few times and I started liking you but I never got a chance to meet you before." He explained.

"Oh well, I'm flattered? I guess..." I said awkwardly, unsure how to respond to what was said.

"Can I get your number? And I'll call you sometime when you're not working.." He offered.

"Ummm.. sure." I wrote my number down on a slip of paper, he folded it and put it in his pocket.

"We could get to know each other first." He stated.

"Yeah well, Ima go..." I tried to move the conversation along.

"Yeah, I'll call you." He called after me as I walked away.

"Okay!" I called sarcastically as I picked up speed and opened the door to the back of the restaurant.

"I saw that!" A familiar voice said.

"Saw what?" I snapped, "And you scared the living crap out of me."

"That guy practically asked you out!" Danielle exclaimed.

"Calm down!" I said playfully pushing her away. "I'm not looking for a relationship."

"Well relationships are looking for you!" She said.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"He is obviously not the first guy to take an interest in you, but you're usually so caught up in life you never realize it. And you scare people away." She explained.

"How do I scare people away?" I scrunched my nose.

"You're focused and dedicated that's intimidating to a lot of people."

"Yeah right!" I waved a notepad in front of her face.

"Just promise you'll give him a chance." She begged.

"Ugh, I don't even remember his name!" I complained.

"Here!" She switched notepads with me, "now you'll be his waitress."

"Ugh I hate you for this!" I sighed walking out the door.