William Revenous Chapter Two - In The Train

William was sitting alone in the compartment he had claimed. The train was currently under water at a very high speed. Oddly enough he could've even opened the window for fresh air. There was no water falling inside and a fresh breeze went over his light brown hair. He looked at his digital watch : 2:30 PM, 9:50 AM, 1:05 PM. His watch didn't work correctly anymore now he's in range of lots of magic once more. His classmates would probably arrive in the compartment once the train stops in London. Until then he'd be alone. There were no other Hufflepuffs in Europe that he knew. He wasn't even sure if Hufflepuff was his best choice. The sorting hat was always vague on that matter. As he recalled it this was what the sorting hat said to him.

"Hmm.. Difficult, very very difficult. You're elegible for Slytherin. There is no doubt about that. Even though you wouldn't use other people for your own benefits, there is still the urge to step over to dark magic.. 

But you're smart enough for Ravenclaw.. Yes it's all written inside your head. you could take this all on easily.. but you don't want to have your life lead by your wits? Alright alright.. You're proud enough to get into Gryffindor, but you lack the drive to prove yourself. Tricky , very tricky.. Even Hufflepuff would suit you. You would sacrefice a lot for your friends.. even though you didn't have many at your previous school.."

Luckily the sorting hat said this all in his head and not to all the hundreds of people that were watching. It must have felt very odd for those people that the sorting hat stayed quiet for so long. William thought.  It felt embarassing for him at least. 

"So the real problem is.. You fit almost equally in each house. Perhaps a bit less for gryffindor, and in Ravenclaw they would easily keep you down by implying you're a know-it-all. Like they do with everyone who is more brainy than the dumbest there. Heh... Imagine a true know-it-all appearing there. I'll make a note inside my own hat that I'd be placing those persons in Gryffindor from now on. We get way greater wizards and witches this way. So alright two houses left. "

"Hold on", William thought, "I heard in the train that Slytherin hates Mudbloods. So wouldn't I have to pretend I'm something else all the time there?"

"Why yes, but that's one of your strengths. You can become what people want you to become, if you let it happen."

"Then It's settled mister hat sir. I prefer hufflepuff then over Slytherin any day. I think I'm better off being myself and thén hide what I could become, or whatever you implied."

"Alright fine, This boy will be HUFFLEPUFF", the sorting hat screamed through the Great Hall of Hogwarts. 

Those were the longest ten minutes of William's life. He can still feel the eyes burning with anticipation into his skin. The sorting hat rarely took his time while considering Hufflepuff. Apparently  it was more of a custom to immediatly scream it out. Also sometimes you could just feel someone belonged to Hufflepuff. Just like you could smell a Slytherin from miles away with their nasty looks sometimes. Although ravenclaw wasn't any better.

Because of William's daydreaming he didn't notice that the train has already entered London's station. All the English students rushed into the train looking for empty compartments. William recognized none of the faces that walked by his compartment. Except for one, and unfortunately for him that wasn't the one he was hoped for. Once the person noticed him, the compartment opened and the young boy stepped inside. It was Graham Montague. He is in the same year as William and simply put : He's a jerk. Also William isn't built for strength or intimidation. At least.. Blue eyes aren't usually considered intimidating. Montague on the other hand had a more trollish build. Hufflepuffs in general aren't really the macho types, and the Slytherins usually call them "Sweetcakes" and worse names. And for people like Montague who love to bully "Sweetcakes" like William. He found himself quite a nice target.