Part 1

-Sonny, I think you're putting the carb in the wrong place.

-Marty, you have no idea! Let me do this, ok? Besides, you don't want your nails to break, right?

-No, but if you...

-Honey, why don't you wait for me at Frosty's, with the gals? We'll be through with this in no time and then we can go wherever you want.

-Ok, however you want....

I walked to Frosty's, knowing it would be a long long time before Sonny or any of the other guys could come. Jan, Frenchy and Riz were there,  fed up with waiting and looking as if they were bored to death. Riz was yawning every two minutes, and from time to time I had the feeling Frenchy was snoring. Jan, on her side, was reading back and forth a comic someone had left, and I was staring at my nails, trying to decide if it was better doing them in red or in pink, matching the jacket.

-Oh God, I think I've fallen asleep. Haven't the guys come yet?

-No, they will surely be trying to fix the car.  When I left three hours ago, I tried to tell Sonny where to put the carb, but he wouldn't listen. You know...

-Men. They're always bragging on how much do they know about mechanics, and they have no idea...

-I don't remember now, how much time goes by before they decide they'll arrange the car and the race?

-Don't know exactly...there's the dance off, then the race and then the drive in...

-No, Jan, the drive in is before the race.

-Are you sure, Marty?

-Completely, look at the script. Dance off- drive in-race.

-Gals, forget about that now. I've got an idea that will be much better than playing another prank on Sandra Dee.  We will fix the car..if she has to wait till the guys do it, there will be no race. Meet me at eight at school, I know how to get into it when there's no one around.

Two hours later....

-They couldn't have chosen a worst clutch...and the brakes won't last much! What on earth does Ms Murdock teach them?  Jan, pass me the wrench, I have to....ready. Riz, do the honours and start the car. No...I don't like the way it sounds, that must be the turbine... Riz, try again! That's much better...well, I think we're done here.

-No, we still have to paint the car, the way it looks now it's not coooool. And you know the guys want a cooooool car.

-I've made a sketch while you worked...

-Wow, looks really coooool, Frenchy! Well, let's leave it on the driver's seat and hope they'll get the idea.

One day later....

-You come early today, guys!

-Yeah, we've already finished with the car and....hey, what are you all laughing at?