Chapter 1: Umbrella

Start from the beginning

I follow him to the entrance and two security guards are holding down the girl. I observe her. She is covered head to toe in filth. Infected cuts and rashes covered her arms and legs. One of the guards grab the girl's arm, causing her to scream and try to bite his hand. Claire come up from behind me and is holding a syringe.

"Browne, hurry and give her some sedative. Then I want you and some nurses to take her to a private examination room." Dr. Melendez ordered. Claire nods and the guards forcibly hold the girl in place until the shot was given. In a couple of minutes the screeching girl went limp and nurses rushed forward to carry her away. Dr. Glassman came shortly and apologized for the trouble. He caught my eye and told me, "Go check on how the girl's doing. Make sure she doesn't escape the room again." I nod and make my way back to the private examination room. Cautiously, I open the door and poke my head inside. Claire looks up from what she was doing and greets, "Hi Shaun. Come over here and help me clean her wounds up." I sit down on the other side of the bed and assist. Claire shakes her head and murmurs, "Poor baby."

I correct, "She's not a baby. She's a child."

Claire gives me a look I don't understand, "You know what I mean."

I didn't know what she meant, but I kept my mouth closed. I ask, "Are her parents here? They must be worried. She is severely injured." Claire shakes her head and says, "We don't know Shaun. She just arrived in an ambulance unconscious. So far we know nothing about her."

"We could run a DNA test." I suggest. The door opens and two people walk in; one is Dr. Melendez and the other is wearing a social services vest. Dr. Melendez speaks first, "No need Dr. Murphy. We know who she is."

The man from social services says, "Her name is Amelia Warren. We received a call this morning from neighbors when they've been hearing non-stop screaming for a week. We couldn't find the father on the property, but found her in the basement of the house with several dozen other dogs. It appears that her father was secretly in the dog farming business."

I'm still focusing on cleaning the girl's wounds, if they are not treated immediately bacteria will start to permeate the bloodstream and then we will be forced to amputate her limbs. Claire on the other hand gapes up at the men in shock and then looks back at Amelia's face, then she turns back to them. "Oh my god. This is- um. What's gonna happen now?"

"Social services will investigate the house and police will interrogate the parents. Then she will be sent to live with relatives or be adopted."

It wasn't the social service worker that spoke though, it was me. They looked at me in shock and the social service worker confirmed, "Yes... that's correct."

Claire asks me, "How do you know that?"

When I didn't respond she repeats, "You know the process. And I don't."

I answer, "Something like this happened to my brother and I. My rabbit went to heaven. We ran away. My brother went to heaven. Police brought me home. I refused. I had no relatives. So Dr. Glassman took me in." the room is silent as I finished cleaning her wounds up. "All done."

The girl lets out something similar to a whimper and shifts in bed. I remark, "She's waking up."

Dr. Melendez gives me a look I don't know, but I've seen that look before. He comments, "Thank you Captain Obvious."

"Your welcome." I state. Claire gives Dr. Melendez a look I don't understand. The girl's eyes open and she sees the four of us in the room. She let's out a low growl and struggles against the restraints. "Give her more sedative. Then we can continue examining her for any further injuries." Dr. Melendez orders. I reply, "We can't give her more. She's a child."