Loose Ends

Loose Ends:

Prologue

The gravel surrounded her, engulfed her in a blanket acuminous discomfort. April didn't know what to expect when she opened her eyes, she could only hope for the best. The rocks dug into her back, piercing the skin that lies upon it. April could feel the blood seeping through her torn clothing. She wanted so badly to move, but everything ached; some places stung with great intensity. The stench filled her nostrils; a mixture of dirt, smoke, and feces. It was blood curdling and vomit-worthy.

Get up, April, come on!

She chanted this in her head multiple times before she had the strength to open her eyes and move. The sight before her made her gasp and choke. Everything was gone. The entire building was in ruins and all things burnt down. April didn't know how to react, but suddenly she had a new found agility and jumped to her feet to look around. She had a slight limp, but she still had mobility. Perspiration formed on her forehead and her heart sped up in beat, skipping occasionally. She took in the sight and fought the urge to break down. Her only fear was that everyone was gone. Stepping over the scorched debris, she proceeded to exit the building. The outside was even more terrifying. It was just like the building, only worse. All the buildings, gone.

Fire crackled and soot and debris floated around her. She began to choke though continued her walking. She then realized she had her phone in her pocket. Quickly digging it out, she saw what she'd most dreaded, it was nearly dead and had no sign of connection. To make matters worse, April nearly tripped over a dead cat, covered in blood and smoke. She gagged at the sight and smell of the creature and jogged away.

There were some severed arms and legs scattered about from the explosion. April couldn't believe her eyes. This was only the beginning. And she knew this. Then she saw him, lying on the ground in a pool of blood.

"Josh!" she screamed. No reply, no nothing. The earth fell silent. Not even the birds chirped on this tragic day.

April then realized something; this day, November 30th of 2999, the world left her alone. Leaving her the only survivor, in some miraculous way.

April finally broke down.

_______

First story for the public eye... Tell me what ya think! ♥