Dinner Disaster

Sam had stupid ideas. Don't get me wrong, I loved the moose like he was my own flesh-and-blood. But I'll be honest, sometimes...his plans didn't work out. Like tonight for instance. He had wanted Dean to bond with Jack. So he'd forced us all to have a sit down dinner.

Everything had gone just fine at first...that is until Jack asked Sam to pass him the bowl of soup. Sam didn't mean to - he really didn't - but the poor thing had always been a bit clumsy. So I guess it really didn't come as a surprise when the bowl slipped from Sam's fingers...and the steaming contents of it splashed out onto Jack's hand. Jack hissed in pain and surprise. That's when the lights flickered - once, twice - before we were suddenly plunged into complete darkness. Silence ensued a moment before it was broken by a gruff voice.

"Well, this is just great. Now I can't even see my food! Thanks, Sammy!" Dean snapped sarcastically to his brother, "This is what happens when you invite Satan Jr. to family dinners,"

"It wasn't his fault, Dean! I spilled it, not him," Sam shot back angrily before directing the rest of his words to the young nephilim, "Listen, Jack, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-"

"It's fine, Sam..." he said so softly I could barely hear him, a tinge of sadness lacing his voice.

I heard a chair scrape against the linoleum then and knew Jack had gotten up from the dinner table.

"I...I apologize for upsetting you, Dean. And for shutting down all the electricity in the Bunker." he said apologetically before I heard his footsteps retreat.

I was about to call after him when I suddenly remembered that i couldn't see two feet in front of me...or even an inch for that matter.

"Um...guys? Could one of you turn the power back on?" I asked hesitantly.

After several minutes of grumbling, someone running into a table and Dean cussing loudly, the power came back on. I blinked in the fresh light rapidly, adjusting to my surroundings before hastily getting up out of my seat and racing down the hallway to Jack's room. He'd left the door wide open so I just walked inside.

He was lying down on his bed, headphones on and his eyes closed. Poor thing. I knew this was hard on him. He tried so hard to be good - to get Dean to like him. But no matter what he did, it wasn't good enough. I frowned as I sat down beside him, making his blue eyes open up into mine.

"You okay?" I asked him softly as I brushed a strand of hair back from his forehead.

Slowly, he nodded, leaning into my touch. I smiled down at him as he patted the bed beside him. Obligingly, I lied down on the soft mattress in silence, my body sinking into the covers. The boys liked to say I knew him best, that I understood him better than most. I guess that was true - most days, we could just sit in perfect silence and not have any need for words.

"Why doesn't he like me?" Jack suddenly blurted out.

I shot him a sad smile, turning over to face him as he turned his own head to the side to meet my gaze.

"I think you remind him of someone he lost," I explained.

He scrunched up his brows in confusion, "His mother?"

I barked out a laugh, grinning like mad.

"Yeah, sure, Jack. That's it. I'm sure it's your luscious blond hair that reminds him," I said, my tone sarcastic yet playful.

Of course, he didn't notice the sarcasm and began to reach up a hand to his hair before I stopped him, grasping his wrist gently.

"No, Jack. Cas. You remind him of Cas," I admitted quietly, feeling my heart leap into my throat at the pit of sadness that had formed in my stomach at just speaking his name.

"My father?" he questioned innocently and I nodded.

"But he'll warm up to you eventually. Don't worry."I reassured him, wrapping an arm around hims as I rested my head on his chest.

It was a bit awkward for him, I could tell but slowly, he put a hand over mine and I smiled. Right then, I knew he was okay. And even if he wasn't , I'd help him to be.