Chapter Five Part Two

"Someone got jealous of our bro dance." Pidge sings mockingly, wrapping their arms loosely around his shoulders and resting their chin atop his head.

"Hunk's the only bro I need! You're just jealous of our bromance." Lance shoots back, tightening the arms of the shirt that's tied around his waist and checking to make sure his snapback is on securely. He should look like a douche, but he doesn't.

Hunk puts a hand to his chest, the other still holding the phone. "Aww, bro!"

"Love you, bro!" Lance winks, making a heart with his hands.

Hunk's hand goes to his forehead and he leans back as far as he can go without falling over. "Bro! Love you, too, bro!"

Pidge makes gagging noises. "At least Keith and I aren't gross."

Lance puts his hands on his hips, smirking. "I don't know, have you two looked in a mirror lately?"

"Ooh! Good one, Lance!" Hunk laughs.

"I would, but your face cracked them all." Keith deadpans, and Pidge laughs.

They hold a fist over his shoulder and he lifts a hand from their leg to bump it.

"Whatever! Roll the track, Hunk!" Lance says, pointing dramatically at him.

Hunk does just that, and Uptown Funk starts to play.

Keith groans softly. "Not this one again."

"Again?" Pidge asks over his shoulder.

"Shiro made me and Lance do the dance to this we learned last year in that dance class we had together."

Pidge snorts. "I know exactly what they're doing. Lance didn't like the dance you guys learned for that. He said it wasn't hype enough, or something. Too easy. So he and Hunk tried to choreograph a new dance for it. Key word here being tried."

Keith exhales a short, sharp laugh. He can see Lance doing that. "It didn't go well?"

"I didn't say that. But they're not exactly the... choreograph type. Especially with Lance. Dude's the walking embodiment of 'winging it'."

Lance is skipping around the edge of the circle, clapping his hands with the music and encouraging the audience to do the same. They do, because Lance is oddly charismatic when he wants to be and crowds are suckers for a clapping beat. Even if they're terrible at keeping time.

The lyrics start and Lance practically jumps into the center, body flailing in dance-like movements that Keith thinks are supposed to go with the beat. Then Hunk is there, running past him and Pidge to jump in front of Lance to do his own quick set of moves. Lance even takes a step back to let him. After a moment, Lance surges forward, putting a hand on Hunk's shoulder to pull him back, making room for himself. Hunk does the same, like they're fighting for the spotlight, which honestly doesn't seem like Hunk at all.

Then they turn to face each other, arms out like they're going to fight. They freeze, look to the audience, and then they're doing body rolls at the same time, grinning wildly.

And that's when Keith realizes it's a planned back and forth.

They continue a lot like that. They take turns going through their own dance moves before the other steps forward to be the center of attention. Occasionally they exchange fake hits that miss by miles, but to which the other will fake stumble or whip their head around like it had landed. All the while neither of them stops moving to the beat.

Unlike Pidge and Keith, their movements are rolling and energetic, the flinging of limbs and bodies in a style that just seems so natural and uncoordinated. It's not precise. It's wild and loose. But Keith is impressed with how well they manage to keep their movements in time anyway. Neither of them ever drop a beat. It's all crazy gestures and cliche moves that fit together so perfectly and naturally, and despite each of them mostly doing their own thing, it clicks together in a form of synergy that leaves Keith baffled and impressed.

Then they're rolling their hips, taking steps to rotate in a circle, throwing their hands up with the "woo's", and the crowd is screaming and laughing. Pidge is cheering in his ear, and even he's smiling. The song builds to the chorus and they're flailing and gesturing in a way that looks partially planned but mostly improvised, but their gestures are so similar that it doesn't even matter.

They actually have a choreographed dance for the chorus, and Keith is actually surprised. The two of them manage to retain their loose and wild style but do so in complete sync.

As the song goes on, it starts to fall apart. They go back to dancing in a way that's so similar, but so unique. They're both laughing and grinning, high fiving and play fighting. It's clear that they're feeding off each other's energy in a way reminds Keith of him and Pidge. But it's different because they're different. Different people and so a different dynamic, but the feeling is the same. The way they dance together reminds Keith of their banter, playful and comfortable, both with wild energy and just general good vibes.

By the end of the song, the whole circle has devolved. Somehow the combined energies of Lance and Hunk, coupled with their combined relaxed style of dance, has managed to pull people into the circle until it's just a mob of moving bodies. Even Keith is bobbing up and down, stepping in side strides and purposefully bouncing Pidge on his back. Pidge laughs in his ear, clinging to him with their legs as they lean back to dance with their arms and hands. He turns in a circle, stepping with the beat and moving as much as he can with Pidge on his back. It's easier when no one is paying attention to him, when it's just movement of his legs in a half assed dance.

As he turns, he catches Lance's eyes through the crowd. His smile widens when he sees Keith, and he gestures them closer. Keith edges through the crowd toward them, and Lance sidles up in front of him. Their eyes lock and they mirror each other as they slide step from side to side. Lance's eyes are half lidded as he hold's Keith's, lips locked in a small smirk that has his stomach doing odd flips. With each step, he sidles a little closer, and Keith blames the warmth on his face on the sun.

Then Pidge is whispering in his ear, and Keith grins. He sees the moment Lance's movement hesitates, suspicion suddenly clouding his features as he looks at the two of them.

Before he can back away, Keith spins. In the middle of his turn, Pidge launches themselves off his back and onto Lance, who shrieks and stumbles backwards. They go down in a tangle of limbs, Lance continuing to shriek as he tries to push PIdge off, who only laughs and digs their fingers into his sides. Lance's desperate flailing increases tenfold as his shrieks go up in pitch. Keith laughs so hard that he has to lean on Hunk for support, though he, too, is bent at the waist, hands on his knees as a deep bellied laugh bubbles out of him.

Keith can't remember having this much fun in a long time.