Jogging the Memory

Start from the beginning

Sonic was disgusted and shook his head using the dim light as a guide to go further in the cave on his own. He expected Scourge to follow, but then again he still wasn't quite sure if it was just a hallucination. Which then would make sense if he did follow because it was his mind fabricating him there and gave him the expectation to follow him, not that he wanted it... or maybe he did. A twinge of awkward guilt tugged at his stomach feeling the need to cling to such filth like Scourge for comfort. How do those two words even fit in the same sentence?! Shaking his head once more the burning in his eyes from straining in the dim darkness and lack of sleep began to water, but at last he came to the glowing emerald hidden away from the world and rested in a pile of rocks. His shivering hands wrapped around the emerald feeling himself warm from the inside out, closing his tired eyes. The emerald's energy swirled his mixed emotions like a dainty glass of wine before letting him plunge into a deep sea of darkness.

"Who am I?" The question bounced off the walls in the dark, "Where did I come from?"
Out in the distance came a flickering light and fog. With his sight fixed on the light his body drifted forward, closer and closer until the violin became clear. A house set in flames just as before.
"Did... did I do that?" He asked to himself.

"Heavens no Sunny boy!" An elderly voice answered above him to his right, "Come with Uncle Chuck, I have something to show you."
"Uncle?" His eyes saw the fabrication of an old light blue hedgehog his fur going grey and quills coloring almost white. Through dark shades of green leafs, grass, and hanging vines he showed him to a small small community in the woods, everyone seeming to be expecting him.
"I gotta go now Sunny, but you'll get well taken care of here."
"Why Uncle Chuck? Why are you leaving?"
"You can out run a lot of things, but you can't outrun time. Don't forget me now, and I'll always be here with you." He faded away as the group of animals gathered around him.

"Sonic you're back! We were so worried about you, going off and facing Robotnik alone like that!" A chipmunk looking girl grabbed him in a hug, "What are you giving me that face for?"
Her face sent a wave of butterflies to his stomach, "Sally." Her name came without thinking.
She smiled and nodded, "You remembered! Where is Tails? He didn't come with you for a visit?"
"Tails?"
"Sonic, don't play. That isn't very funny." She scolded, "You'll be with him when I go off to get married you know."
"You're getting married?!" His heart sank. But of course she was, she was a princess and that is all in their job description.
"Sonic, we talked about this." She shook her head disappointed, "Something isn't right with you. Maybe you should get some rest." She leaned in giving him a soft kiss on his cheek. "Good night, Sonic the hedgehog."

His eyes closed, and opened again viewing the cave's ceiling. "Did I..."
"Pass out?" Scourge's voice met him again, "Like a wuss ya really are, heck yeah you did! You've got the weirdest agenda I'll tell ya what; ain't nobody I know gonna answer "the first thing I'm gonna do with a chaos emerald, is sleep with it, like it's a wuby." But I guess now I've seen everythin."
"Shut up.." Sonic sat up rubbing the sore spot where he'd fallen.
"You shaddap, check this out. Some high tech hieroglyphs if ya ask me, but still outdated technology. Are these Polaroid?!" The green hedgehog held up printed colored photos.
"Lemme see those." He held out his hand only to have them yanked away, "Hey!"
"Didya remember me yet?"
"No, and yes. I know your name and that you're being really ... not cool."
"Cool? Haha! I ain't cool cuz I'm way past it." He tossed the pictures at him.
The picture had him in it, and three birds of green, purple, and grey color. They seemed like they all knew each other judging by the closeness everyone was standing, accept for the green one. Maybe him and the color green just doesn't mix well, despite it being his eye color. No, it doesn't seem there should be anything negative to be held about these three, he himself looked bright and happy in the picture. He decided he'd keep it, along with the emerald he found, but with a picture like that being in a place like this he figured whoever dropped it could still be close by, and looking for him. He wasn't ready to engage in other people... it should just be him and his memories, and Scourge whom may or may not be real, a sour jerk to be around, yet being oddly helpful in the worst way possible.
"All juiced up are ya? We ready to hit the jam and get outta here!? Aye Sonny Boy?" Scourge taunted skipping next to him.
"Don't call me that, and belittle me with stupid old catch phrases." He growled weaving his way out through the cave.
"Fine, have it your way." He shrugged and darted off leaving only the wind, and Sonic by himself.

"Home Team, Team Babylon has visual on target. He's retrieved the Emerald-"
"It's gone.." Wave mumbled to herself, "The real emerald is gone.."
"Shut up Wave!" Jet hissed back at her.
"We could have switched it with a fake, and kept the real one for our self!"
"We don't have a 'fake' emerald tracker! Now we have Sonic's location too!"

"Roger that Team Babylon." Towers answered over the radio, "We're tracking a moving signal on our radar now, keep close eyes on the target, don't let our enemy gain any advances on his trail."
"Copy that Home Team." Jet leapt onto his hoverboard signaling for the rest of his team to follow.
"Hey boss," Storm glided next to him as they followed Jet, "Who you think he was talkin to?"
"Who knows Storm, maybe Eggman did something to him." He replied, "Now stop asking me stuff I don't know and let's get going!"