Chapter One: How did it happen?

Chapter 1

...1975

Lily Evans, fifteen years old, looked around the forest to make sure no one had followed her. A few spells had to be used, since the shadows often tricked her eyes. When nothing showed up, she let herself sigh a little. With students of Hogwarts, you could never be sure. She had taken a lot of preparation to go out this night, so not even the great Dumbledore would find out that she was not in her bed this night. And well, if he did...he at least wouldn't know what she was doing.

She turned just in time to be caught in a man's embrace. Instead of stiffening, as she had done before, she relaxed into the embrace and looked up at the handsome man, with a face no older than twenty-five. He pressed a soft kiss to her temple and said:

"You're wearing the perfume you said Potter liked. Do you continue to fool him? Tut tut, such a naughty mind."

Lily grinned. "But he's so easy to fool. I have so much fun, all I have to do is sway my hips a little and he's my slave."

The man grinned right back. "So, why did you call me here, Lily? It's not safe at night, not even with me here."

"I found what I was looking for, Tom." His eyes glittered red in the dark forest, and Lily leaned against his chest. "I was adopted. There's not a trace of Muggle in me. But you're the only one I'll tell outright, the Light should never know about this."

"I would agree to that, my love."

Tom Riddle, Voldemort, held her tighter. She was young in his eyes, but still someone he yearned for. She knew his age and she hadn't backed down so far. Lily might actually be the perfect partner for him.

-o-

1980

Lily Evans, now Potter and 20 years old, looked down at the child in her arms. The infant was sleeping peacefully and she turned to look at her wand. It would be easy. Wait, what would be easy? She could never raise a hand against this child. This wonderful child, brought to this world by unlikely parents. Or rather, unlikely father. James Potter could boost however much he wanted about the child being his, Lily knew the truth.

She knew everything now. The ring on her finger, the ring James had put on her, was the wrong one. She hated it. She wanted to tear it off and run away. But now it was too late. For her at least.

The sun shone into the room and she gazed outside. The child in her arms moved, and when she looked down, infant-blue eyes stared up at her. She wondered what colour they would turn. Hers, or perhaps his?

"Hi," she whispered. She was a bit hoarse, and cleared her throat. "I had a great plan, you know, once upon a time. With many happy endings and beautiful children. It didn't go exactly like that though."

The child yawned, arms moving about and Lily adjusted her hold.

"I wonder how you'll be, when you grow up. Where you grow up." She sniffed, felt tears and let them fall. "Maybe you'll look like him, like your father, not that bumbling idiot getting something to drink. Your father is a very handsome man. I would love it if you looked like him."

The boy's eyes slid shut and she relaxed into the bed. Soon they would leave St Mungos, go home, or rather James would go home, and Lily would follow him there. His house wasn't her home. Her home was now closed to her. In her mind, it was, she didn't care what her husband thought.

"My real husband though," she whispered at the boy, waking him. He gurgled, making Lily smile. "Yes, I got two husbands! But James, I don't love him. I never will. I've only ever loved one man, and now he is very upset. I can't feel it, but his actions speak louder than his words ever will. You see, your father isn't good with words. Maybe you'll be better." She shook her head and giggle to herself. "Oh, what am I doing? Holding a conversation with a newborn?"

Lily laughed, cried, and held the child close. "I wonder what would have happened if I had given birth to you with him by my side. Maybe I could have had my happy ending." Adjusting again so that her son was comfortable, Lily stared up at the roof. "I don't have a name for you yet. He is the one who should give you a name. Until then, I guess James gets to decide."

Voices on the other side of the door. Lily quieted down, fussed with her son's blankets until it grew quiet again.

"It was simple, Muggleborn Lily Evans to everyone else but him," she whispered to the child, a small secret. Even thought she knew the newborn would not remember it. "He was the only one I ever told my real name. Lily Morphis Mortimer. The Evans loved me, I know that and I'll probably love them too until I die but I can't forgive them for lying. They told me all the time I was theirs, when I wasn't."

A chubby hand closed around her hair. Lily moved so her son could grip her finger, which he did with surprising strength.

"Maybe I'll get a little time with you," she said, moving down so she was lying down and he was safely tucked away against her chest. "Just a little while. I just hope you remember that I love you. And I love him too. My Tom, I'm so sorry." Lily's hand was holding their ring beneath her gown; tightly. "If I die...if you kill me, I'll stay. I'll watch, and I will try to figure out why I left you."

The sun continued to shine as the mother decided to join her son in the land of dreams, one last tendril of calm content before the storm.

XxXxXxXxXxX

I hope you all like this chapter. R&R