Chapter 2

The loud, grating quality of kids assaulted El's ears as she walked with Mike over to Dustin, Lucas, Max, and Will. She looked around worriedly, seeing a diverse crowd before her. There were so many colors and styles, it was overwhelming.
  "Hey guys." Lucas said as they walked up. "How awful do you think it's gonna be?"
  "I don't know. It's high school." Dustin replied. "Hey, El doesn't look so good, is she ok?"
  Mike looked back at El. Her eyes were wide as saucers and her face looked pale white.
  "You ok?"
  El shook her head. "Not...okay."
  "Come on. We'll go inside where it's quieter and there are less kids." Mike led El to the entrance of the chilly, florescent lighted building while the others turned and continued talking.
  "Ok, what's our first hour?"
He had given her their schedule because he knew it would calm her down a little, having something to focus on.
  "L...i...tera...rure."
  "Ok so reading," Mike said, laughing.
  "Yes." El glanced at the hallways stretched out before her, twisting and turning into a complicated maze. Just the thought of trying to get to her classes without Mike made her almost sick.
  "Ok. Come on." Mike clasped her hand to his and whispered, "It'll be ok, I promise."
  El nodded and focused on his hand intertwined with his.
  The bell rang, which wasn't a pleasing sound to Eleven. She squeezed Mike's hand harder as the halls filled up around them and they found first hour.
  They sat down at two desks next to each other and watched as the rest of the kids filed in, including Lucas and Ann, Will's girlfriend.
  And then, someone else walked in. A girl with very long blonde hair, icy blue eyes and a huge smile adorning her features.
  Eleven frowned. This girl gave her an odd feeling, and it was making her uneasy. She nudged Mike and said, "that girl...is...weird."
  "Why?"
  "I don't know."
  "Well then, let's find out why" and with a grin he got up and went over too her.