25 : The Neverending Story

Start from the beginning

Prue was wearing a snug deep red sweater with dark jeans one day close to Christmas. The soles of her boots slapped against the hallway floor and merry chatter surrounded her. Her brown hair was curled around her shoulders and bounced with every movement. She tucked a strand behind her ear, revealing the holly shaped earrings that had been an early Christmas present from her mother. Red, green and gold tinsel hang from the roof above the rows of parallel lockers and the air inside Hawkins High was warm; a sanctuary from the cold and biting winds outside. In her arms was a box wrapped in bright paper and two Tupperware containers. Selena and Ronnie had a Christmas tradition were before school broke for the holiday, they would exchange gifts while snacking on homemade treats. It was Prue's first official year of the Christmas tradition and she was excited. This year the trio of girls were doing Secret Santa and on the weekend Prue had found the perfect gift for Selena and baked two batches of cookies shaped like Christmas trees with green icing. Selena and Ronnie were already sitting at their favourite table in the toasty cafeteria when Prue strolled in. Ronnie's stiff collar under her sweater was embroidered with snowflakes and Selena was wearing Christmas light earrings that flashed with colour.

"Merry Christmas!" Prue bellowed as she lowered herself down next to Ronnie, who was sucking on a candy cane. Prue placed the containers and the wrapped box on the table, spotting the other girls' loads of food and Christmas gifts.

"Finally! We were afraid you got stuck under the mistletoe," Selena teased, the light from her earrings throwing colours across her cheeks.

"It's not like your reputation could be ruined any further," Ronnie joked, poking Prue in the side playfully with the other end of her candy cane. The aftereffects of The Incident of Halloween and the Patrick scene died down and Prue had gotten through it, just like Nancy had said she would. But none of that stopped her two dearest friends from teasing her about it every chance they got.

"And here I was thinking that you two would pause from bringing that up in light of the holidays," Prue said, opening up one of the containers filled with cookies. Ronnie dived right into the food, forgetting about her candy cane.

"No Christmas miracles for you, babe," Selena replied brightly, reaching for one of the wrapped gifts on the table.

Ronnie received a new hardback diary and some other stationery items from Selena, and while most people would be disappointed by this gift, Ronnie wasn't. "This is so thoughtful! I can start planning for next year!" she beamed.

Selena enthusiastically ripped off the bright paper to reveal Prue's gift to her; a crimping iron. And when Prue explained that is was apparently the next coming trend, Selena gushed. "I can't wait to get home and try this out!" she said happily.

And then it was Prue's turn and she carefully unwrapped her gift from Ronnie, with watchful eyes. "Oh, my god, Ronnie!" she exclaimed, as her eyes travelled over the Sony Walkman with a stack of movie soundtrack cassettes including Flashpoint, The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Sixteen Candles. "I love it!" The three girls snacked on cookies, fruit cake, rocky road stuffed with cherries and Selena's mother's chocolate and mint fudge (a massive hit at book club). They chatted and laughed with full mouths and it was merry and bright. And when the girls were finished and clearing the table of Christmas wrapping paper, Selena noted the other container filled with Prue's Christmas tree cookies.

"Are they for Mr Hardy? Are you into older men now?" she said, wiggling her dark eyebrows at Prue.

"No!" she replied, rolling her eyes. "I was a little overzealous and made too many. And I figured Steve might like them." She shrugged casually, stacking the containers and her gift against her torso.