04: The First Window

Start from the beginning

But definitely more dangerous, she added the afterthought with a grimace.

Emi asked her to get more ingredients, asked her more questions, and once, even asked her to disassemble another bug, a faulty one that somehow didn’t meet her criteria. “Okay, this drone is ready!” Emi exclaimed with a relieved sigh. “Well, these bugs are in high demand recently, seeing how they’re useful for settlement security. They’re going to pay a good price alright!”

Holly looked at the metal artificial bug. To fly free…

“Emi?” Holly began.

“Yes?” Those kindly eyes stared into Holly’s. Holly quickly looked away. They always made her feel guilty for some reason, as if they were saying, Holly, what’s wrong? I care about you. Why do you look like doubting me?

“Do you think it’s possible to take Lucy out of her room?”

“It would be like trying to remove the flame from a candle,” Emi answered after a moment’s pause. “Why do you ask?”

“She wishes for it.”

Emi held a finger over her own lips, thinking. “I can arrange that later,” she answered with a smile. Then she took a deep breath. “I guess she’s sentient enough now, huh.”

“I’ve been sentient for ages, in case you haven’t noticed,” Holly gibed.

Emi chuckled. “Don’t worry, Holly, I’m definitely going to bring you out to see the world on the night of your birthday.” Then she changed the subject:

“It gets stuffy in here. Let’s go to the Room of Illusions for some real spell practice. I have a surprise for you.”

*

This time, the Room of Illusions was a green grassland that stretched as far as the eye could see. A gentle refreshing breeze made Holly wish this was reality.

Emi stretched and yawned. “Works every time,” she mumbled. “It’s good, right? This feeling of being outside?”

“Lol,” Tamaki replied, her head floating like a butterfly while her body stood by her master.

Following her guardian from behind, Holly only stared.

Emi turned towards her. “Well, Holly, try something new you learnt from reading yesterday.”

Holly thought hard. A lot of spells that she had read yesterday were out of her league. She chose one of the simplest. “Spell 1607: Plant Rampage.”

A tall stalk of grass suddenly burst into rapid growth like a thin tentacle and started to snake towards Emi. Emi seemed untroubled, and approached the growing plant. She actually allowed it to twine around her forearm, feeling it wrap tight as if trying to strangle. “Not too bad, but not too strong either.” With a strong jerk of her arm, the plant was broken.

Holly panted heavily.

“Next?” Emi asked.

Holly clenched her teeth. Putting herself in an attacking stance, she yelled, “Spell 1610: Air Knife!

Emi actually started upon realizing the nature of the spell. She stepped aside and snapped her finger. There was an exploding sound, like a popped balloon. “Good one. If I know nothing of magic, that one would cause some nasty wounds.”

Holly had to steady herself, hands on her knees, her head spinning from the magical exertion.

“One moment break,” Emi said cheerfully. “You did well with the knife, seriously. It could kill.”

Holly sat down. Feeling dizzy, she allowed herself to land on her back, staring at the sky, blood pounding in her ears. She shielded her eyes with an arm. At least with this room being an illusion, she did not need to worry about getting her clothes dirty.

I’m weak…

“You put quite some power into that second spell. For someone your level, I’m impressed,” Emi complimented over her head. “Really.”

Holly looked up. Emi was bending over her. “You said there’s going to be a surprise,” Holly grumbled.

“Well… ten years and you’re already at your 1610th spell. You grow fast. Did you still remember your first spell?” Emi asked cheerfully.

Holly didn’t reply, her mouth a straight line.

“Uh-huh,” said Tamaki, her head landing on her neck. “It was a fire blast, Holly, remember? You belched fire while sleeping.”

“Well, she was just four years old at the time, though,” Emi said dismissively. “I remembered saving the books from catching fire. Anyway, Holly, I guess I can leak it out to you. You are the Child of Memories.”

“Child of Memories…” Holly repeated in a half-whisper. She slowly sat up. “What’s that?”

Even though Emi smiled at this, a shadow seemed to pass across her face. “You’ll know when the time comes. Anyway, I realize that your main problem is quantity, not quality.”

“You mean my magical power?”

“Yes. But, you know, I have already foreseen this. I’ve suspected for years that you will not be as strong as I hoped when you are fifteen.”

“You foresaw,” Holly accused with a frown.

“Well, I made guesses,” Emi shrugged.

“It’s because I’m the Child of Memories,” Holly gave a confident stab in the dark.

“Um… no,” Emi denied, the smile not leaving her face. “You’re just… not strong enough.”

“You have a surprise for me,” Holly pointed out.

“Exactly,” Emi said with a nod. “I planned to break this news to you when you reach fifteen, but seeing how uneasy you are these past few days, I think I’m going to let you know.”  Emi’s voice lowered. “When you were but a baby, I sealed some of my power in you. It would protect you when needed. Luckily, being safely locked in here, you didn’t find yourself in any situation that needed it. But now, closer to your birthday, I’m going to teach you how to unleash that power.”

Holly was all ears right now.

“There’s a magic word,” Emi continued. “Just say, ‘Emi, I need you,’ then cast your spell. For emergencies only, but I’ll allow—”

“What?” Holly exclaimed. “What kind of a magic word is that?”

“Well, I picked a line I consider—” But before Emi could finish her sentence, Holly made her move.

“Emi, I need you! Spell 3: Pierce!”

A huge, blinding torrent of violet light erupted from her fingers, just as her hair and eyes glowed amethyst. It shot towards Emi, roaring like a rushing train, her eyes widening in genuine shock. The sorceress deflected the incoming ray of doom with a spontaneous swipe of her hand, and it hit the ceiling, blowing a gaping hole through it with a resounding boom.

A cloud of dust descended and filled the room. When it cleared, Holly got her first view of the sky. Real sky. Compared to the illusory sky, it was night, and stars glittered through the newly made window. “That… was…” Holly couldn’t believe what just happened. My first window?

That was when Holly noticed Emi staring at her, all signs of cheerfulness gone and her hands behind her back.

“Get out,” Emi reproached, her voice filled with an emotion Holly had not seen coming from her in a long time: cold anger. Her eyes wide, her face pale, Emi looked as if she had aged a decade. Holly was about to open her mouth, but Emi cut her short, “Leave me. Get out of this room.”

Holly hesitated, puzzled as she tried looking for the reason for Emi’s change of attitude.

Now!