I was never happy.

As the dementor drew nearer, a cloud of black dust formed beneath it.

And then, I saw something.

I saw countless smirks and small smiles. Flashy green eyes, winking, blinking, and lighting up. Unruly, messy black hair.

I saw Harry.

Not the Harry who hated me.

The Harry who I adored.

Soaring over the Black Lake.

Jumping into his arms after a whole summer without contact.

His hand brushing against mine.

I felt warmth, for once. I felt love.

The stupid, useless love I had for The Boy Who Lived.

I still didn't feel the happiness.

But love ought to be enough.

"Expecto Patronum!" I yelled. A familiar white-blue light glided out of the tip of my wand. It curled out into the shape of an inverted umbrella. The dementor curved away once it hit the beam. Lupin excitedly, but cautiously, forced it back into the cupboard, locking it again,and charming it.

I dropped my wand and sunk to the floor with a thud.

-

-

-

"It's alright now, up you go." Lupin shook me away and helped me sit up. He handed me a piece of chocolate.

"Eat," he demanded. I did as told.

"I must say, Emma. Never, never, in my entire time, have I ever seen such a powerful Patronus form such a young witch!" he said proudly.

"Well done Emma, very well done." He smiled at me.

"Your mother would be so proud." He smiled again, but then his face dropped.

"You know... I was very close with them, Hayley and Sirius, when we went to school." I nodded.

"I don't know if you want to hear this but.. That night, that Hayley died - err, disappeared - along with the death of the Potters, Hayley left you with me, in case someone found her, as they did." I listened patiently.

"I would have raised you myself, you know, but... there was a certain condition in my household that would have made it unsafe for you to live in."

"You know, I knew who you were from the instant I saw your face. You have your father's brown hair and your mother's piercing blue eyes." I smiled. I liked to hear about my family before everything went wrong.

"I don't believe any of it. Sirius Black was a great man; somewhat mad, but that made you love him. He wouldn't have killed Peter and he wouldn't do anything to harm the Potters." Lupin sighed.

"Thank you," I said blandly. I stood up carefully, as I was still a bit woozy.

I walked towards him and smiled.

"Barely anyone thinks that way."

"Most people see the just the top layer, the madness. But your father was, and will always be, a great man."

-

"Beautiful day." My head snapped around, I heard Hermione storm into the courtyard.

"Gorgeous. Unless, of course, you've been ripped to pieces. " They argued a lot more when I wasn't around.